New Tractor Stalling

/ New Tractor Stalling #1  

Griffey

Tractor
B7610
I have had my new b7610 for just over a week and yesterday it started acting up. I took it out and drove it a bit without any problem then all of a sudden it started stalling on me. The tractor starts fine and seems to run like it should, but when I use the rocker pedal to go forward or reverse the tractor just powers down. When just idoling the tractor runs fine, operating the FEL without a problem. The problem happens in high and low range and even in neutral. Like I said it starts and runs fine, but a few seconds after I press down the pedal the power cuts oiff. If I let off the pedal it goes back to running fine. I contacted the dealer, but he can't get someone to talk to me until tomorrow. I was just hopeing someone may have a simple fix for me or may have expienced the same problem.

Could it be some like the saftey switch on the seat?

I'm totally bummbed out about this. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ New Tractor Stalling
break is off and it has a full tank. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Tractor Stalling #4  
The safety interlock switch wiring is messed somewhere I think. It may be related to the operator presense thing on the seat. Mine used to kill the engine if no one was in the seat and you used the pedal to inch the machine.

I "fixed" it the wrong way by disabling the switch, your dealer should be able to correctly fix the problem.

/ New Tractor Stalling #5  
Take a look at the switch under the seat, sounds like either the switch has come loose or the wiring connector is loose. Either would be a quick fix.

Slowzuki is right, if I try to use the pedal without being in the seat (or holding the seat down with my hand when trying to hook up an implement) the tractor will die.

Another occasional problem I have is accidentially engaging the PTO while mounting or dismounting. I it won't start with the PTO engaged.

Bill Tolle

/ New Tractor Stalling
How does the saftey switch work? Does it only kill the tractor if the tractor is moving and the driver gets out of the seat? It doesn't just shut the tractor down if it's not moving (but still running) and there is no one in the seat does it? I'm only asking becuase I am wondering if what happens when the switch is activated is similar to what I am getting.

This was my initial thought, but I am uncertain if I can do anything about it. I checked under the seat to see if anything obvious was not connected or something like that.

/ New Tractor Stalling #7  
Griffey -

On my tractor, the engine gets shut off if a switch under the seat decides that no one is sitting in the seat AND the HST pedal is depressed. (Cheer up HST pedal, at least you're part of a Kubota).

If you just get off the tractor with the engine running, it will stay running unless the pedal gets depressed again with no one on the seat. (Jeez pedal, are you taking your meds?) It's not like a lawnmower that will shut off every time you let go of the handle.

I bet $.05 you can fix it yourself if you locate the switch under the seat and see what's up with it - loose/disconnected wire, bad ground, sketchy switch (maybe a shot of WD-40, or WD-41, whatever it takes, until you can replace it).

I bet this problem will soon be behind you. (Actually, I think it already is behind you, in a way) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't go thinking you've got a "lemon" just yet.

Good luck, John

P.S. Just had one more thought (oops, just used up my quota for the day). I once let a little kid drive my tractor around the block to give him a thrill. He soon came running back around the corner yelling "the battery died!". Hmm, I doubt it, I said to myself. Turns out the seat tension was turned up too high for his weight to effectively engage the seat switch. I loosened up the tension and off he went again. Maybe the seat is set too stiff?

/ New Tractor Stalling #8  
The switch is interlocked with the hydro pedal. As long as the pedal is in a neutral position (doesn't matter if range selector is in H, L, or N) the tractor will run with no weight on the seat. When you move the hydro pedal without weight in the seat the seat switch will cause the tractor to die. For instance, if I try to stand up while the tractor is moving the engine will immediately shut off.

Lift the seat up and look to the right front of the seat mounting bracket. You should see 2 wires that go to a switch that is about 1" wide, 1 1/2" long, and 1" thick. On the bottom of the switch there is a plunger that is actuated by a metal "arm" on the seat when you are sitting in the seat.

Check switch to be sure it is solidly in the bracket.

Check at the wires that come out of the switch. Unplug/replug them it to be sure they are making good contact.

Check the metal "arm" that operates the switch to be sure it is tight and engaging the plunger on the switch.

If all else fails, unplug the wires from the switch and use a jumper wire to connect them together. This will override the safety switch if the switch itself is bad. DO NOT leave that jumper in place, it is a safety hazard since the safety interlocks will not operate as designed without the switch in the circuit!

Bill Tolle

/ New Tractor Stalling
GOOD NEWS!!!

Checked unders the seat again and found something loose and the problem is fixed. Just in time since a big snow storm is supposed to come in tonight.

Thanks to all of you that offered input. You guys are great!

/ New Tractor Stalling #10  
CT Tree Guy,
I got the WD-40, WD41 Whatever it takes line and knew immediately what you were talking about.
Nice to see another Mr. Mom fan
Leroy