My FEL can't reach high enough

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #11  
Re: My FEL can\'t reach high enough

I've seen EXACTLY what you asked for. A FEL attachment that would extend the fork reach via hydraulics.

I'll try to find it again and post a link. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Beautiful Barn, by the way. Absolutely stunning!

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #12  

Man! That barn is nicer then my house!

/ My FEL can't reach high enough

FarmGeek, thanks, I hope you can find it. I thought that they must make something like it but I have just never seen one.

Charles

Thanks to everyone for all the nice barn comments, we've put a lot of effort it in to look good and be functional. I house will be built to match so this was like a TEST building to be sure we liked the look.

Thanks again.

Charles

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #15  

If I had done that my wife or my MOM would say hmmmm, lack of planning.
Sorry, could not resist since this is something I might have done myself...and I am a lifelong builder and I am not young anymore...supposedly experienced.

My concern is safety. That dirt/gravel approach is too steep for this purpose. At least this is how the photo appears to me.

You will be loading the barn with hay regularly?
A temporary or moveable ramp does not seem to be the answer. It will be heavy in order to support the tractor and its load and a pain to have to get set each time you are loading the barn..

Best solution (IMHO) is to build two small retaining walls out from base of stone columns, clad them with the stone material, and PAVE a different contour of the apron leading to the slab of the barns breezway.
You've gone this far with the cost of the barn, may as well get it right.
Or buy a fork lift.
Nice barn by the way...
Remember, safety first!!
Take care,
Runk

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #16  

If thats a test, you passed. Sweet!

Well, all of you guys got me thinking and I solved the problem. It's a very simple, very primitive way but it works.

First I pick up the roll of hay so that if I tip the forks forward it would roll off. Next I wrap a horse lead rope all the way around the roll of hay. Then I raise the roll up to the barn opening and set the tips of the forks on the edge of the door jam. That leaves the forks slanted down hill so the hay doesn't want to come off the forks. I take the snap end of the lead rope and hook it to an eye bolt I installed just below the door jam and then two of us pull on the other end of the rope. This process pulls the hay off the forks and rolls it into the hay loft. Now the two of us can roll the hay around to where it needs to go. Not the best solution but considering I only need to load about 12-14 roll in the loft in the fall, I think this will be good enough. Getting the hay out is even easier as I don't need the rope. Just roll the hay out the door onto the forks and the tractor does the rest.

Thanks again for all the help and nice comments about the barn.

Charles