My FEL can't reach high enough

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #1  

FL_Cracker

Platinum Member
Palm City, FL & Blue Ridge, GA & Freedom, WY
Tractor
Kubota L5030HST,R4 & Kubota RTV900R Utility Vehicle
My FEL can\'t reach high enough

I just finished my new barn and we built the hay loft just high enough for the L5030 to fit in the breeze way. Today I picked up 5 rolls of hay for the horses and bad news, the forks won't lay flat in the loft opening. When my forks are flat they come about 12-18" short of the floor level. I think I'll be able to man handle the hay by setting the tips on the floor and pulling the rolls of hay off by hand but putting pallets of stuff up there is not going to work at all.

Has anyone ever seen some design of pallet forks that can start at the ground and after picking up the load raise the forks up 12 to 18". I have a set of front remotes that would supply the front hydraulics.

Problems, problems problems. It's always fun trying to solve them.

See attached picture of opening I trying to put hay through.

Thanks,

Charles

Attachments

• 772925-DSC_1737 (Small).JPG
    772925-DSC_1737 (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,163
   / My FEL can't reach high enough #2  
Re: My FEL can\'t reach high enough

You could find an old forklift and mount the entire mast to your loader arms. The mast itself will have lift depending on it's size. I have seen machines that builders and contractors use called SkyTracks that are set up that way to lift things very high.

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #3  

Nice barn. Now if you'll just mound up a bunch of dirt in front of it, when you drive up on it the forks will reach! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

- Just Gary

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #4  

Put a small removable ramp(s) or platform on the ground to raise the front wheels that small amount you need. Since the FEL is forward of the tires, you probably wouldn't much of one to raise it 12 to 18 inches.

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #5  

As stated: Build a portable ramp.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #6  

Like the others said, try ramps. You can get a set of auto ramps (for oil changes), at least to try. Watch your weights though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #7  

The old fashioned way: beam, trolley and hoist? ...outta the truck into the loft. ...if you modify the forks to go higher, still, I would make a quick c.g. calculation. ...I envy the barn

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nice barn. Now if you'll just mound up a bunch of dirt in front of it, when you drive up on it the forks will reach! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

- Just Gary )</font>

I thought of the same thing until I looked at the picture and saw how nice his barn is.

But still... that chevy wouldn't have any trouble backing over an 18" hump... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ My FEL can't reach high enough #9  

Nice barn, is there a door to the second floor on the backside too? Looks like the slope may be a little less on that side. Do you have a trailer you can drive on for the extra height? Hopefully you don't need to use the door often. How about a picture with the tractor next to the opening with forks up? Maybe jar more thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck.

/ My FEL can't reach high enough

Thanks for all the good ideas. I think by pulling my truck in the breeze way with the trailer attached, the trailer will act like a big ramp. That will give me 2' extra and that's just right.

Now why didn't I think of that.

That's why TBN is so great.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif