Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear #1  

dgj

I noticed that my tractor was losing power. Then I noticed that it would start up okay, but as soon as I put it into gear and let up on the clutch the tractor would stall. I took out the air filter, shook it and put it back in. The tractor eventually started to work. A few days later I had a guy come out to do a 100 mile maintenance service. He replaced the fuel filter and air filter. He thought that perhaps the fuel was a problem so he put in some additive. The tractor worked - it did not stall, but it still did not have the power it once had.

I didn't use the tractor for a few days. Today I went out to use the tractor. It started right up, but stalled right away when I put it into gear. I ran it for about 20-30 minutes and it kept stalling when I put it in gear. The engine had warmed up so that was not the problem. It was about 40-50 degrees outside. I had added fuel to the tractor about a week ago, so it now had more fuel then when the guy came out to work on the tractor.

I don't understand why the tractor will start up without a problem but dies right after I shift it into gear - even with the clutch depressed. I'm going to let it sit overnight to see if the problem repeats tomorrow. I'm thinking about getting some diesel fuel additive to see if that helps, but I am baffled. If any of you have ideas or questions -let me know.

Thanks.

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear #2  
This may sound like a slap but I'm just going to beat the hords to the punch on this one. Is your brake off when it dies? You don't have any info in your bio so no idea of how much experience you have with tractors but a firmly set parking brake can stall your tractor.
Steve

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear
Thanks for the response. I have had the tractor and been using it for a little over a year. I certainly am no expert when it comes to using tractors - but in this case the brakes were off. The tractor will stall out with the clutch completely depressed with the shifter in forward or reverse. In other words the tractor would not have been able to move - because the gears were not engaged. I tried experimenting with the RPM - I usually have it around 2500 and tried it between 1000 - 3000 RPM and this did not make any difference.

Thanks.

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear #4  
Hmm! lets wait and see what some of the more experienced folks can guess at there are a ton of other things it doesn't sound electrical and if the motor runs fine until put into gear it doesn't sound like a firing issue. I don't suppose you could put in neutral and just push it to see if the brakes are somehow engaged as that is a popular reason to have your type of problem. Like I say pushing it in neutral to check for ability to move is a long shot lets watch for more responses.
Steve

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear #5  
The power loss is a real curve ball but here's one thing to check. Worth a try. I assume we are talking the GST or manual transmission model. Both the GST and manual have an operator presence control system (so does the HST), which I understand as simply the seat switch. Make sure nothing is stopping that switch from depressing fully. My Operator's Manual has notes on page 33 and page 35 for the two non-HST transmissions, that states moving either the shuttle or syncro shuttle shift levers into forward or reverse will stop the engine if no operator presence is detected in the seat switch. It's possible the switch is not engaging properly or that it has become defective. I'd start with that. Someone with more knowledge may know if that switch can be jumpered out. I bet it can. There is a connector on the wiring harness right beside the seat frame. Easy to access. If you disconnect that connector you can check the seat switch operation with a simple continuity or ohm test. There is a third wire in that connector that appears to be going to the PTO. So you'll need to be on the correct two connector post positions. Finally, I'd just say to make sure the PTO is off, although that shouldn't be creating your symptoms. Won't even start if that's the case. Some operators don't realize the OPC system will let the tractor start regardless of someone being in the seat or not. So a defective or obstructed seat switch will let it start. I can start my HST from the ground- while in in gear- by just pushing the clutch in. Not advising that of course.

HTH

/ Kubota L3130 stalls when put in gear #6  
The power loss is a real curve ball but here's one thing to check. Worth a try. I assume we are talking the GST or manual transmission model. Both the GST and manual have an operator presence control system (so does the HST), which I understand as simply the seat switch. Make sure nothing is stopping that switch from depressing fully. My Operator's Manual has notes on page 33 and page 35 for the two non-HST transmissions, that states moving either the shuttle or syncro shuttle shift levers into forward or reverse will stop the engine if no operator presence is detected in the seat switch. It's possible the switch is not engaging properly or that it has become defective. I'd start with that. Someone with more knowledge may know if that switch can be jumpered out. I bet it can. There is a connector on the wiring harness right beside the seat frame. Easy to access. If you disconnect that connector you can check the seat switch operation with a simple continuity or ohm test. There is a third wire in that connector that appears to be going to the PTO. So you'll need to be on the correct two connector post positions. Finally, I'd just say to make sure the PTO is off, although that shouldn't be creating your symptoms. Won't even start if that's the case. Some operators don't realize the OPC system will let the tractor start regardless of someone being in the seat or not. So a defective or obstructed seat switch will let it start. I can start my HST from the ground- while in in gear- by just pushing the clutch in. Not advising that of course.

HTH

This post is 10 years old but it was the answer for me...a reinforcing 'spider' from the drive shaft was loose from the box behind the seat and had become trapped under the seat frame just enough to prevent the seat switch from engaging...
Thanks for the answer from HTH!