Oil & Fuel Fuel shutoff and general theft protection.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
My tractor resides on my property which is about 45 minutes from my home. Until recently theft has not been a problem. It is the sort of place where you can leave your keys in your car and the back door unlocked, etc. But, last month my brother-in-law had 5 nice saddles, a compressor, a pressure washer and a friend's four-wheeler stolen from his barn. His barn is just down the road from my cabin where I keep my tractor.

In an effort to at least make it difficult on a potential thief, I usually leave the PTO lever in the 'on' position and the tractor in gear, both of which prevent the tractor from starting. I obviously don't leave the key in it. I also switch the fuel cutoff which sits above the filter, to the 'off' position. I have not resorted to removing the battery.

A few questions:

1) Do the saftey features like the tractor not starting when in gear or when the PTO is 'on' prevent hot wiring?

2) If I forget about the fuel cutoff and try to start the tractor, do I need to bleed the fuel system.

3) Does anyone know of any other simple steps I can take to hinder theft?

My place is way out in the sticks down a long country road. There is a locked gate, but it could be easily knocked down. I doubt anyone could drive off with the tractor just because of distances involved but it is still possible. A determined theif with a truck and trailer would likely be unstoppable in the middle of the night. But I want to make it as hard on them as possible. I guess removing the batter is an option.

Thanks for any tips.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #2  
It's kind of a pain, but removing one front wheel (assuming you have a FEL) is a pretty good deterrent! I run a heavy steel cable/padlock through a rear wheel and around a substantial tree.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #3  
Removing a wheel is the best deterrent but a pain, there is a starter fuse you can also remove that is located under the hood.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #4  
None of the safety switches will help if they jump the starter at the solenoid. If it is not a hydro and they start it up in gear perhaps after gatting run over they will not try again. Of course with todays wimpy court system; IF they did get injured /killed trying to steal your tractor, you would most likely have to donate it to the survivors.......along with your car......your truck.....your house......bank account......ect.....ect.............................

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #5  
Install a keyed battery shut-off in the cable between the starter and the battery.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #6  
My tractor (GL5030) and truck and implements stay within 50 yards of my sisters house on a major highway in mid-Mississippi. I have not had any problems with theft of vandalism until last week when someone stole more than 20 gallons of gas out of the truck (which probably means more than one visit). I have taken measures, some of which are mentioned above, to ensure that the tractor is not stolen but what concerns me more is potential vandalism. I can put a locking gas cap on the truck (purchased one today) but should I just keep a minimum of gas in the truck and let the thieves have a go at it (they did not bother the diesel in the tractor) rather than have them do damage to the tractor and/or equipment which would be more costly than a few gallons of gasoline?

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection.
I don't think there is any defense against vandalism, nor is there any way to predict what will precipitate it. In our location the police suggested that many local thefts are perpetrated by crack-heads and that the dealers are actually fencing the stolen property. Subsequently random vandalism hasn't been a problem.....but until recently neither had thefts.

Jerry, do you have a link or a contact for a keyed battery cable?

Anyone know if I need to bleed the fuel system if I try to start the tractor with the fuel line shut off? I'd think not since no air should be drawn in.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #8  
I've run mine "dry" before by forgetting which way the fuel petcock was supposed to be turned for off and on. Once I got the petcock right, she started right up and ran fine, no bleeding required.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #9  
I had a situation that was as bad as yours so the dealer added an electrical switch in line with an electric component of the fuel system, probably the pump. The thief would have had to diagnose a fuel supply problem then traced the wiring to the hidden switch. Not likely under normal circumstances.

/ Fuel shutoff and general theft protection. #10  
Does your BIL have room in his barn for your tractor? If he's just down the road, why not leave it there?