3pt weight capacity??

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #1  

emery

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b9200
My Kubota B9200 lists 550 lbs for a max 3pt implement weight. I want to try a 5' tiller that weights 650 but am afraid of doing damage.

Can you tell me if I would in fact risk damage or will the hitch just refuse to lift that much weight???

This tractor novice would be thankful for any advice.

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #2  
<font color=blue>...Can you tell me if I would in fact risk damage or will the hitch just refuse to lift that much weight???...</font color=blue>

Hi Emery,

I'm not familar with your Kubota, but I'll answer the 3-point hitch as a generic question for all manufacturers.

A Little Background History first…

3-Pt Hitch capacity…
All ag tractors are ASAE S217. spec rated 24" behind the lift arms or link ends in a full transport position... Compacts can be rated also at the "yoke" or "rockshaft" end which will give you a much higher number...{simple law of physics} but the 'real world' is out at the implement end.

Ex. ABC tractor is rated 4800 lbs. @ the rockshaft and 3300 lbs. 24" ASAE rating.- same tractor…two different numbers and two different reference points.

They also do the same thing with loader spec's...
Ex. ABC tractor loader is rated 2325 lbs. @ the pivot pin max ht. and 1705 lbs. @ 500 mm beyond pivot pin max ht. {approx. center of bucket} for ASAE S301.2 spec’s. – again same tractor loader, two different numbers and two different reference points.
{Not to confuse the issue, but take this same loader and put it on 6 different tractors and you’ll come up with 12 different sets of numbers…}

Back to your question…

If your 550 lbs. is rated 24” behind, you should be able to lift the 650 lb. Tiller a few inches off the ground, move the tractor, set the tiller down and start rotor tilling… You may not however be able to lift it fully all the way up to “transport position” and drive down the road with it.

Normally, the relief valve will go off, not allowing you to lift more than the system can safely handle… so no damage would occur… but lifting 650 lbs. on a small compact may make the front end of your tractor very light/lift it up in the air/sloppy control of steering ability/etc…. so you may need some front weight to hold it down and keep the tractor stable.

So, you may want to load up your 3-pt hitch with 650 lbs. of “stuff” and see exactly what the hydraulics will do, and how the tractor will handle/steer/drive before you make the purchase…

Good luck Emery.

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #3  
the tractor u specify MIGHT be able to lift the 5' tiller, but even if it does, will u have enough power to run it? u might be well advised to drop down a notch in tiller size or go up a notch in tractor size. don't overload your machine, is not good for your safety or the tractors well being/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 3pt weight capacity??
Frank, I did borrow a 5' tiller and my machine seemed to turnup my garden pretty easily.

I'm getting this king cutter 5' tiller new for under $900 which seems like a super price but of course not a good deal if it damages my tractor.

Smaller 4' tillers are twice the price and used ones are scarce as hens teeth.

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #5  
I was just in the little room where I keep all the best reading material /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ...

Caroni Rotary Tillovator - PTO w/clutch included, chain-driven tiller, 6 cutting blades per flange.

Item 30265 - 48" wide - 15-40HP - $839.95

Agri-Supply ... http://www.Agri-Supply.com

or 1-800-345-0169

I haven't ordered anything from them before, but they have great catalogs!!

Caroni web-site and detailed specs are at:

http://www.caroni.it/inglese/mac_agricoli/fresatrici/welcome.html

fresatrice_fotogrande.gif

Patrick

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #6  
I have a 52" caroni tiller and so far i have been very happy with it. I am sure it's not the best but it has tilled up a lot of ground for me with no signs of stopping. Just in case you are interested in this line. fyi i also have a caroni 6' finish mower that has worked well for me.

good luck
Jarrod

/ 3pt weight capacity??
Thanks alot Patrick for the info on Caroni. I did visit URL's and am very interested.

Anyone know of dealers in northeast carrying Caroni????

/ 3pt weight capacity?? #9  
Just my two cents. Depending on the soil conditions you will be working in, soft dirt vs. rocky hard ground, the tractor may be a little light for that size tiller. It takes more H.P. to operate a tiller that is 25% wider than a four foot. If the gound you're working is firm the extra width may push the tractor around a bit more and put more strain on the drive parts of the PTO.

I will admit I don't have much experience with tractor driven tillers but I have used several different hand operated types.

Good Luck
Randy

/ 3pt weight capacity??
I did try Caroni's dealer locater on web site, but kept getting error when the form was sent was not able to get info.