Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out?

/ Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
My tractor has a FEL and backhoe, so obviously the pistons/lines etc are all full of fluid. If I want to change to a different type of fluid (and everybody warns against mixing fluid types) how do I get all of the old fluid out?

Jay

/ Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out? #2  
You don't, but I always lower the FEL & BH and jiggle the joysticks around to get all the pressure out prior to changing the hydraulic fluids. The null volume in the implements is not changed out.

/ Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out? #3  
Wow. The 2300 hrs on your profile is that tractor?

Since your question is really how to avoid contaminating new (different) fluid with the existing stuff, I'm guessing it would depend on the fluids. Say what they are (and be prepared for a debate in here)...

IMO you can never get all of the existing fluid out. Obviously you could fill/cycle/flush a couple of times, but that would get a little silly and expensive.

Whatever fluid type got it through 2300 hours MUST be working pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Russell in Texas

/ Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wow. The 2300 hrs on your profile is that tractor?
<snip>
Whatever fluid type got it through 2300 hours MUST be working pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)</font>

Har har.

Yes, my tractor has 2300 hours on it, and yes that is a whole lot, but no, I didn't put them on w/o changing fluids. I surely HOPE that the original fluid isn't in there. Actually, I just got the thing this past week, and I do know that the seller (2nd owner) did absolutely NOTHING to it for the 300 hours he had it. It's in pretty good shape though, runs well, doesn't smoke, so I'm assuming it was maintained OK by the first owner, who put the first 2000 hours on it. I'm going through the whole thing before I run it, fluids, lube, etc. The hydro fluid still looks and feels good, so changing it right away isn't as critical as, for example, getting the engine oil changed. It has to be near it's normal change interval, however, so I am going to change it. Since I have no idea what is in there now, I want to get as much of the old stuff out as I can - I worry about potential incombatability issues. The old stuff is red, if that means anything.

I like to subscribe to a "cheap oil changed frequently" philosophy. I don't wait for oil to turn black to change it. I don't expect to put many hours on this tractor anyhow (mostly just around the house puttering), so I'll probably end up doing changes at ~1/2 recommended intervals at least.

I also like to use stuff I can get readily, so I shy away from specialty items. As such, I don't plan on using Kubota Super UDT, which very well might be what is in the tractor now, no idea. I'm putting Rotella-T 15W-40 (from Walmart) in the crankcase, and I'll probably fill the tranny with the HD Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic fluid that Sam's Club sells for $30/5gal. Flame away.

Thanks - Jay

/ Changing Hydro Fluid - how do I get it all out? #5  
<font color="blue"> I don't wait for oil to turn black to change it. </font>

You'll be spending 100% of all your tractor time changing the oil in that case, because the soot in diesel engines turns the oil black right away! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif