BX23 dumb questions

/ BX23 dumb questions #1  

6or7dazeaweek

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Hi all....I'm considering the BX23 as well as the JD-2210 and an aftermarket BH to do some "watershed maintenance". I really like the BX23 as it should do all I need it to do, however, the lack of ground clearance scared the devil out of me as does the 2210.

Has anyone ever taken their BX23 up & down along the banks of a stream & gotten stuck? I looked underneath the BX23 the other day to see what kinds of stuff might get damaged but I was absolutely clueless. I do believe on flat land, this would be my machine of choice, however, the terrain kind of dictates using a larger machine with more clearance.

I'm thinking now about looking at a tractor with more ground clearance but I keep looking back at the BX23 with the FEL & BH already attached and wonder if it's all I really need. What's underneath that I need to watch out for and should I get a bash plate for additional protection?

Anyone gotten their's mired in the mud and been able to use the hoe to drag themselves out? My biggest fear about the BX23 & the 2210 is having to tie onto either of them with a winch & tug myself out of a bad spot. Sure I could get into a bad spot with a larger tractor also....which would require more winch.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX23 dumb questions #2  
The BX23 is a great little machine but it does have it's limitations. Ground clearance being a major one.

There are a few very important items underneath the BX23 that can get easily damaged. The HST oil filter and the HST cooling fan are both very easily accessable and thus easily damaged when operating in areas's where you need more ground clearance. And to a lesser extent the fuel line, fuel pump and filters are too.

A general rule of thumb is to go with a "B" series tractor when ground clearance becomes an issue. A B7510 or B7610 come with a BH option and provide quite a bit more ground clearance.

That said, there are several posters here on TBN that have made skid plates for BX's and one even sells his model. They cover up the underside and protect the BX's vitals.

As for getting hungup. The BX23 has traction lock as well as 4WD and I have yet to get it hungup or stuck but then again I operate it within it's abilities. I used it this past summer to dig out my pond that had filled in over time. To keep from getting stuck I 1st built up a ramp down into it in the middle then worked each end towards the middle. Then I dug the ramp out as I was working back to the top and out. The ramps angle was such that I left the MMM on for protection. I would have taken it off if I had to tho, but it wasn't an issue.
The BX23 will dig all day long for you but don't be mislead into thinking it's a commercial quality TLB. It takes small bites which corelates to alot of seat time. To me thats not a negative /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but some others would consider it one.

Good luck

Attachments

• 785413-Pond digging3 .jpg
    785413-Pond digging3 .jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 335
   / BX23 dumb questions #3  
I cleared my property with my bx. There has been alot of talk about the clearance on the bx. I think it has to do with how well you plan your attack. If you watch where you are going and dont high center yourself on a log or stump, the bx does a great job. I have many pictures in the links next to my signiature that may shed some light for you. here is one of me clearing. Good luck in your quest to find the best tractor for your needs.

Attachments

• 785422-captureD56.jpg
    785422-captureD56.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 394
   / BX23 dumb questions #4  
I have a BX2230. My current project is cleaning out saplings and dead trees from a 3 acre wooded area on the backside of my property. It is extremely soft on the lower edge where a spring runs just under the surface. I was tooling along in 2WD bliisfully un-aware of the aforementioned spring and sunk the front end up to the axles. I put her into 4WD and backed out of it with no problem...The bad thing was that I had to get through there.

I still did'nt realize their was a spring there and just thought it was a soft spot (I know! DUH on me!). Anyhoo the point is that after moving over a few feet I left it in 4WD and went through...It was a muddy mess but I only had to use the diff lock 1 time. This is a very capable machine even in soft areas. I have since hauled in some gravel from the creek and rocked that area.

I would recommend the BX series to anyone...including you but a skid plate is (IMO) a common sense option on the BX. The one sold by a member here is kinda pricey but it appears (and testimonials back this up) to be an excellant plate that fits well and is well crafted. IMO Kubota should include a skid plate but if wishes were dishes I would open a resteraunt.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX23 dumb questions #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
What's underneath that I need to watch out for and should I get a bash plate for additional protection? )</font>

I've had my BX 2200 in the woods quite a bit and the hydro filter and the fan is vulnerable so I and some others have added a skidplate to keep the sticks from getting at the delicate parts, and it has worked for me. Anytime that I take off the MMM, I clip on the plate, it is held on with the pins that hold the mower on and it is on and off in seconds. Attached a pic, if you need more, I can provide. I have not found ground clerance to be a problem, if I can't go over, I can just go around, that's the nice part of getting around in the woods with a smaller machine.

Attachments

• 785714-Skidplate4.jpg
    785714-Skidplate4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 383
   / BX23 dumb questions
Steve: Thanks for the great photos showing what can be done with the bx23 if you take your time. I was amazed at the size of the stumps you dug out with that little machine. That said, just how difficult is it to remove the BH when you want to use the 3pt hitch?
8 inches of fresh snow fell today & no tractor to play with yet. I need to get deciding what I'm going to purchase and live with that decision.

Thanks again...
Jon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ BX23 dumb questions
Milkman: I really think if I take your approach and be careful, then all should go well. I definitely would go for some type of bash plate underneath just for added peace of mind if nothing else. I'm going to have to deal with some wet areas where I need to be working so that should be a challenge for a newbie like me. I'm up to taking a different approach if it prevents me from getting stuck or hung up.
Thanks for the photo of the skid plate too. Looks like I might be doing something similar very soon.

Jon

/ BX23 dumb questions
Thanks for all who responded to my dumb questions. Youv'e certainly eased my mind about the BX23 and its capabilities.

/ BX23 dumb questions #9  
1. None of those are dumb questions.

2. I LOVE my BX, but would not want to use it where ground clearance is an issue. Even if you protect the underside, you also have those expensive housings hanging low and steering cylinders riding real low out front. It also won't lift implements very high.

3. I looked at the JD2210 also. I hated the aftermarket BH. The BX-23 seemed better integrated. Small Kubotas are Kubotas. Small JD's are Yanmars.

4. If you are using bar tires, anything you get stuck in will probably also stick whatever you come to pull it out with.

Somebody asked if it is hard to switch from BH to 3pt. NOT! I spend more time getting the 3pt adjusted than anything. 20 minutes, including time to lube a few items. For me installing implements takes longer than dropping the BH.

If you are working in a streambed, please be sure to read all the tipover threads here. They put that monster rollbar on there for a reason.

/ BX23 dumb questions #10  
STEVE said it well ,its how you plan your attack.I use my 23 in my woodlot,never had issues cause i use my head other than to hold my hat.Cut your big stumps off low,and or i use my hoe and fill in around them when im making a tote road.cut bushes and small stuff off so not to poke a tire.The bx 23 is small to get around stuff.Laugh,but im not afraid to put my 23 any where my 4 wheel drive atv goes,water holes being the exception.If you do get something hung up the hoe will lift you off and set you over.So i disagree with others,i feel with a little commen sense,ground clearance is not an issue.
As to can you get yourself out...so far so good.Mired at hopelessly up to the frame a couple times.the stabilizers will lift up the back for craming something under the tires.the fel does the same for the front .by a combination of pulling with the hoe,pushing the differential lock,pushing with the bucket,ive always got out with time.
AS FOR SKID PLATES,i try not to run over that big stuff,ill go around ,move it,or bury it.If you start running over stuff,that big[it does have quite a bit of clearance] your chancing rolling it over.The skid plate is nice to keep sticks out of the hst fan,several have posted doing this.
GET YOURSELF THE BAR TIRES,and there wont be much you cant do,my atv club loves this machine for building trails.
ALAN