BX2200 short in headlight circuit

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit #1  

149owner

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 149, Kubota BX2200, LX3310, JD LX277
I have a short in the headlight circuit and was wondering if anyone else with a BX2200 has had this problem. There is a brown wire coming from the hl switch and brown wires going to the headlights but the wires going to the taillights are white. The schematic I have shows brown wires going to all. Is there a connector somewhere in the harness I can disconnect to separate the taillights from the circuit so as to narrow down my search for the short?

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit #2  
I found a black & red wire going to the tail lights but doesn't show any plug, black/red on one side and brown the other, not sure but check the black/red for pos. .paul

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit #3  
If your beloved BX has had to sleep outside, try taking apart the switch. They corrode and will short out. You might even find water in it. Not a hard job just watch for small pieces. Clean it up, put it back together and see what happens.

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit
I have found the problem to be with the wiring to the left (sitting on tractor) taillight. I found by tugging on the socket I could get the resistance to ground to change. When I tilted the seat forward I noticed the top of the fuel tank showed some fuel on it. I also have the problem of blowing the same fuse when I fill the tank so I guess I have one of the infamous bad tanks and sender units I see posted around this forum. I might as well fix everything at once since I have to take the fender off to get at the wiring. Are there any tricks to removing fenders and tank? How do the handle covers on the PTO levers come off? I tried pulling on one but it wouldn't budge. Is there someplace besides the Stealer that I can buy a factory shop manual? Thanks for the past replies-any and all help is appreciated.

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit #5  
The handles on the pto levers pull off.

Get it in a warm place and they will come off with some effort.

The floor pan has to come off before the fender can be removed, this is no biggie just takes time.

Allow yourself about four to five hours at least for the fuel sending unit repair , along with the other. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The kit for the sending unit is like $18.00 or so. You will need an offset screwdriver , 12 mm wrenches and sockets. 19mm to remove the ROPS. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the service bulletin, Tom. I took the fender off and you can see in the attachment how the taillight wire was jammed between the fender and the ROPS frame. You can also see the fuel around the sending unit. I received the repair kit for the sending unit and will have everything back together tomorrow. It took me a while to get the unit out of the tank because I was afraid of breaking the PTO safety switch when pushing down on the tank.
Thanks also to Tomnky. It warmed up enough here so the handles came off with minor persuasion. The fender came off without having to remove the floorpan.

Attachments

• 796278-Taillight short.jpg
    796278-Taillight short.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 162
And "The curse" starts again!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ BX2200 short in headlight circuit #10  
You are most Welcome.

I replaced the transaxle cooling fan and the fan belt while I had mine torn down.

The propeller shaft has to come out for the fan belt as well as the cooling fan for the transaxle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif