L series tire question and problem.

/ L series tire question and problem. #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
I recently purchased a new L3430HSTC (4 hours as of today). I upgraded the tires to the R-4 industrials. However, I noticed that the sidewall rubber on one of the front tires is beginning to seperate. The front tires are made by Titan??? but the rear tires are made by Firestone. I contacted my dealer who informed me that Kubota routinely mismatches tire brands on their tractors to facilitate maintaining contracts with multiple tire manufactures to ensure an ample supply of tires in case of a shortage or strike. I am not sure if this is true. Does anyone else on TBN have mismatched tire brands from the factory (one brand on the front and another on the rear) on their L or Grand L Kubota?

I attempted to obtain a tire under warranty from Titan, however the end result of that nightmare was I have to purchase another front tire made by Titan from one of their dealers, who in turn will submit my tire to Titan for inspection, and if Titan determines that the tire is actually defective, I will then get credit /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I spoke to my local tire dealer who didn't have anything good to say about Titan. He indicated that it could take months before Titan responds once he sends in the tire for inspection. I asked him if he could order me a new recently made tire instead of selling me old stock, but he indicated that he wouldn't because he wants to get rid of the one old tire made by Titan that he has had in stock for over a year. Dissatisfied with the situation, I contacted my Kubota dealer who has offered to replace the front tire, but his tire is also old stock, and he wasn't sure of the brand. We'll, I don't want to end up with three different tires, so I finally e-mailed Kubota about the situation and asked to have the front tires replaced with the same type as the rears, but I haven't received a response. Does anyone think Kubota will change out my front tires?

Jim

/ L series tire question and problem. #2  
It isn't unusual to see two different brands of tires on a new tractor. The tractor companies do purchase from different suppliers sometimes to protect their supply and sometimes to maintain the correct front to rear gear ratio.

/ L series tire question and problem. #3  
I have the same tires on my L3130, titans on the front and Firestone on the rear. No problems with with either tire in 800 hours and lots of heavy loader work.

/ L series tire question and problem. #4  
Have you spoke with / or e-mailed Titan directly? When I had a tire problem with a new tractor, I went straight to the manufacture and they in turn dealt with the tire dealer.

/ L series tire question and problem. #5  
I have a 05 L3430HSTC that came with the same set up as you have, Firestone on the rear (R4's) and Titan on the front. I have had zero problems with my tires and have 67 hours so far on them. Maybe you just got a defective tire that missed the quality control check and found it's way onto your tractor. I would for sure ask for a "new tire" and I would not be scared to go with Titan brand from my experience so far. All tire brands probably have a "bad apple" every now and then.

You sure made a good choice of tractors! Congrats!

Mark

/ L series tire question and problem.
Jerry,

I contacted Titan directly about the tire and dealer but was informed that they (Titan) have no control over how independent tire dealers handle warranty claims for Titan because the dealer only acts as an agent and does not have the authority to determine whether a tire is defective.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

/ L series tire question and problem. #7  
I wouldn't deal with the tire manufacturer or dealer at all. You have a warranty from Kubota regardless of what they put on there. Have the dealer replace the tire. If he can't match the good front tire you have then insist that he replaces both of them. You spent a lot of money on that new machine and shouldn't have to be screwing around with a tire dealer with only 4 hours on the machine.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ L series tire question and problem. #8  
I agree completely. Your dealer should take the responsibility to get this worked out. This isn't a tire wear issue. This is a factory defect. He sold you the tractor and the tires on it.

In regard to different brands, the rears on my L4400 are Firestones the fronts are Goodyear (Ags).

/ L series tire question and problem. #9  
My L3400 has R4's, Goodyear on the front and Titan on the rear. I'd be guessing whatever truck they unloaded last is what goes on.

I doubt Kubota will replace the tires. The auto manufactures don't usually do that either. Your dealer is probably your best bet.

/ L series tire question and problem. #10  
Goodyear and Firestone R1s on my L2800.

GM grudgingly replaced two front tires for me once after I fussed at them. The van had bad idler arms which they replaced under warranty, and it had chopped the front tires. Press Kubota. They should fix it for you, or at least help you get satisfaction from the tire maker.

- Just Gary