Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes?

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #21  
I think VA_Joe sums it up well. If you don't put many hours on per year change the oil sooner then the book. If you run it a lot then the 100 hours is the way to go.

I change my L3430 at 50 hours now, that is about every three ot four months. When I start running it 100 hours a month I will switch to 100 hours oil change.

ksmmoto

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #22  
HGM -

I just want to make sure that you realize I was NOT recommending drail intervals longer than the manufacturers recommendations, and cited the European experience merely to suggest that even if you did, the jury is out as to whether or not you'd have significant problems, thereby casting doubts on the benefits, if any, of going with SHORTER drain intervals than the manufacturer suggests.

As far as <font color="blue"> I'm not one that believes an oil test must be done to determine oil life </font>: I'm big on measuring things. It's about the only way to analyze things scientifically as opposed to relying on gut feelings and conjecture.

As for comparing the 30 years/6,000 hours on Daryl's tractor to 200,000 miles on your Power Stroke, I'm not buying into it. Real life often doesn't lend itself well to some of the formulas that we try to apply to it (though often it does, or a lot of scientists would be out of work).

Joe said it best: <font color="blue"> The 6,000 hours happened over the course of 30 years. That is a very long time for any engine. If the 6,000 hours of use occured over the course of five years vice thirty - the story would likely been much different (he probably would have gotten another 6,000 hours over the next five years). </font>

Joe, that was worth way more than 2 cents, you need to charge more. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #23  
John:

At my age, I don't think I'll have to worry about 6000 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #24  
Daryl -

You're going to outlive my 5030, but I know where you're coming from - pretty soon, I'm going to have to start thinking real hard about buying green bananas. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #25  
I find the 100 hr intervals come around pretty quick during haying season and I did accidently let one go 20 hrs over but that was only 3 days use. I don't think a warmed up machine running 8 hrs a day wears as much as 5 minute intervals of starting and shutting down when you get to you 100 hours.

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #26  
Hiya Ken -

For sure, there are few hard-and-fast rules when it comes to drain intervals, and I can definitely see changing oil at LEAST once a year even if you have 10 hours. Again, "uncommon sense" has to be used, depending on how you use your machine. Your 'stop-and-go driving" example is a good one.

Best wishes to you (and all), and have a wonderful holiday season (with visions of great oil test results dancing in our heads) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes?
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm putting about 75-80 hours per year on mine (according to my records. I have 249.4 hours on it right now and changed it last on May 22nd. I think I'll probably just change it out after my next plow session which will put me right at 250.

Have a good one,
Dave

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">From what I understand about tractor motors, 6000 hours is pretty early to blow one up, so I'd have to say that 200 hr frequency was not sufficient. </font>

I don't think I can get on board with 6,000 hours being "pretty early", nor do I think that any appreciable engine longevity can be achieved by using drain intervals that are shorter than those recommended by the manufacturer, assuming that your oil (dino or synthetic) is doing its job.)</font>

Maybe, I don't know for sure than 6k is necessarily a short lifetime, that is just my impression. However, I do know that crank bearing failure is a direct result of oil failure, whether lack of lube or excessive dirt, pretty much always.

Jay

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #29  
My B8200 lists every 75 hours. I put that much on it in one year once. I change every Springtime or 75 hours, whichever comes first. As others have mentioned, acids, debris, and moisture buildup to make nasty stuff.

I do my truck the same way; 7500 miles or yearly(usually put 15,000+/yr). Cummins and Dodge spec my '01 Ram as 7500 under mild conditions, 5000 when towing. I use thier spec.

The oil companies would like me to change at 2500 or 3000 miles. But, the oils have improved over the years, as have the engines.

/ Anyone actually go 100 hours between oil changes? #30  
John,

We're on the same page for the most part.I think that 6000hr in 30yrs is definitly streached out. I understand what you are saying about the difference between a tractor and truck, there will be variences as the tractor most likely has more work time. So if anything with theory, the life expectancy would be less. That being said, I dont buy that either, if all maintenance is equal....

In a diesel engine, everything introduced into it has lubricating properties(except the air /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). This is why I'm a big supporter of quality fuel that doesnt have a long storage time, MFG recomended oil change intervals along with a clean air filter when needed. The combustion process of a diesel is also less violent on the bearings because of the smooth steady burn it produces.

There are allot of OTR trucks out there with more than a million miles between overhauls.. Sometimes they are just overhauled because of time, not failures. These engines often are disassembled with the factory crosshatch in the cylinders(if they are taken care of). This leads me to believe my tractor given regular attention to maintenance should last a very long time...

Back to the 6k hrs in 30yrs. With my formula for truck hrs that would come out to about 6,500mi per year. This would dictate about 1 oil change per year(goes back to the original recomendation /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).. I dont recall from his post, but I dont think that was the interval(I may be wrong)... If the oil is changed regularly, there would be no need to send it for analysis.. But, if we streach that time and try to get the most out of it (syn or dino) we do need to have it checked. I dont fall into that category, thats why I made the comment that I dont test oil..

Sorry for the automotive comparisons. I've been a tech for the past 15yrs, the whole hour thing is relitively new to me.. When I look at it this way it makes sence to me...There are allot of similarities..... I dont want you guys to think I'm correcting you, I just expect my tractor to live about forever if I take care of it. Part of this is based on the fact that just about everyone around here has a running 8n(55+yrs old) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif..