Ballast Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead?

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
I am going to fill my B7510 tires with water since I am in Arizona and don't worry about freezing. However, I am worried about breaking the tire bead after I jack the rear wheels up and take out the valves. Has anyone had this problem when filling tires? I understand that once you break the bead it is a real pain to reseat the tire. Thanks.

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am going to fill my B7510 tires with water since I am in Arizona and don't worry about freezing. However, I am worried about breaking the tire bead after I jack the rear wheels up and take out the valves. Has anyone had this problem when filling tires? I understand that once you break the bead it is a real pain to reseat the tire. Thanks. )</font>

I'd add a bottle or two of anti-freeze anyway - you never know. Besides, anti-freeze has anti-corrosive properties too.

Apparently you've never tried to break a tubeless tire bead. I have no experience with tractor or even automotive tires, but I've done battle with ATV tires (which are relatively easy - and it was still a PITA, even with my floor-standing bead-breaking tool). I've changed a hundred tubed motorcycle tires, and even they put up a fight sometimes. As far as tractors go, I've heard stories of folks driving pickup trucks onto their tires to try to break the bead, and I believe it.

As far as having the bead pop off all by itself when you let the air out, I've have to vote that it just ain't gonna happen.

Jay

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead?
The only reason that I am worried is because the dealer mentioned that he has had it happen before when filling tires.

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #4  
I had it happen to my 4210 when I moved the rear wheel slightly to get the valve stem at the correct angle, after letting the air out (no floor jack underneath). /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had to run straps around the center of the tire to get the bead to reseat. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Needless to say, when I did the other side, I made sure the valve was at the correct angle before starting, and the tire was raised off the ground with a floor jack. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #5  
Gus,

I have heard that you would want to put an inner tube in if you are going to fill the tires.

Keeps the rims from rusting out.

You may want to look into . . . . .

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #6  
<font color="blue">
The only reason that I am worried is because the dealer mentioned that he has had it happen before when filling tires. </font>

I believe the problem is a different rim profile between the 16" and 16.5" rims that are used on the Kubota CUTs. My B2910 uses the rim that has a profile that tends to keep the tire on the rim without pressure in the tire. The step smaller B series has (if I remember right) the 16" rim, which has a different profile without a lip to hold the tire, and as the result, when the pressure is released from the tire, it can slip off the rim.

This has been reported here at TBN in the past. I am not sure what the solution is. I believe some have filled the tires on tractors with the questionable rim profile without problems, while others have had the tires pop off the rims on their own, when the tractor was jacked off the ground and the tire was just hanging the air as the air pressure was released.

A search might turn up the specific thread that I am thinking of...as might a search of rim profiles for various tractor wheel sizes.

As far as the need for a tube in the tire when liquid filling, it is my impression, after reading a lot on that subject here at TBN, that the need is more of a "rural legend" than a practical concern. This is mostly because for the rim to rust out you need oxygen, and what little oxygen that is in the tire with the liquid is soon depleted, so not much rusting out would normally happen.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #7  
First you will want to jack up the tractor,at least the side your working on.Then let the air out,if your tractor is fairly new the bead will usally breaks loose from rim with a hammer.In a tire shop they have about a 3" wide very dull type of chisel they drive between tire and rim to break the bead loose.In the worst case you will have to remove tire and rim from tractor to lay down to break bead.again with hammer or portable bead breaker.This is the point where people have laid a board on tire close to rim and back a truck onto board it some times works.At this point you may just want to haul them to the tire shop.If you got the bead broke loose add your water,some antifreeze would be good as mentioned before or use window washer solvent while tire is standing up.Reinstall your valve gut add air.If tire does not air up take a piece of rope around tire not to tight,slip a bar under rope and wind to tighten rope which should seal bead to take air.These tires are going to be heavy if you had to remove them from tractor you may need help to get them back on.Good luck Red

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #8  
Sorry I forgot to include,You do not need to take valve stems out just the core or gut,add your water and anti freeze with a long auto funnel between tire and rim.No there is no need for a tube. Red

/ Filling Rear Tires - Breaking Tire Bead? #9  
My previous tractor was a B7500 and I had no troubles filling the rear tires.