Kubota will buy back my B3030

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #1  

jgbiker

Tractor
Kubota B3030
Hi all
Back in Sept I posted about my experiance with the B3030s being able to start in gear. Well I didn't stop there. I contacted Kubota. After much communication by phone which gave me the feeling that Kubota hoped I'd go away, Kubota agreed to try to fix the problem. when they figured out they couldn't, I was contacted by an associate general counsel for Kubota. After much conversation he wanted to meet with me at my home to see my B3030. In early Nov. I got a visit from the counseler from Cal. and a quality assurance manager from Ga. They agreed that the owners manual was incorrect when it states on page 13 (of my manual) that the tractor will not start in gear. During our conversation I mentioned to them that the only reason I purchased the 3030 was because the B7800 I had before, did not have a control valve, it had a quarter inching valve for the 3 pt. hitch. The engineer asked if it could be done, would I take a B7800 with a control valve in place of the 3030. I agreed, but only if the conversion didn't hurt the function and the resale value of the tractor. I also insisted that Kubota come out with a revised manual, notify current 3030 owners and educate their dealers about the starting in gear issue (I spoke to 3 different dealerships in my area and only one knew by accident that the 3030 starts in gear). Last week I got a call from the Kubota counsel. What they are offering, is to buy back my 3030 at full purchase price. If I decide to buy a B7800 they will install a control valve free of charge. At first this seems like a fair deal, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure. If the coversion doesn't work I'm left out in the cold and Kubota doesn't have to deal with me on a product liability issue of the 3030. I would rather see if Kubota can produce a 7800 with a control valve before I purchase it and all the potental problems because I haven't found a dealer yet that has done this conversion or is willing to do it without Kubota telling them how.I'm open to constructional opinions.
John

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #2  
What's your question?

Sounds like Kubota is willing to customize a tractor just for you. So go for it. And if possible, be happy with them for working with you....a lot of tractor mfgs would probably have not given you this much attention....

Gotta love those Kubotas! I sure like mine.

dwight

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #3  
Very interesting post. If you are concerned about the B7800 conversion. Why not ask for a B2910. You will have the best of both tractors. It will not start unless clutch pedal is pressed in. <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> should still be able to find one.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #4  
I was also concerned about the tractor starting in gear. However, I think the so called cruise control lever presents a more serious problem. The lever is a hand operated forward pedal. The brake does not release it. If, as I did, you happen to stand up and step off of the tractor on the right hand side it is very easy to catch your jacket on this lever. There I stood with the tractor moving forward towards the garage door, my jacket caught on the 'cruise control' lever. The only thing that saved me from a very dangerous situation was the tractor shutoff because no one was on the seat. I know... I know ... I never should have gotten off the tractor with the range shifter not in neutral and without the brake set.

It is so easy to forget with the HST and no clutch. I intended to move a shovel out of the way and then finish parking the tractor. A quick off and back on. How many have done this?

I know this is not the same issue your are concerned about but it is in my opinion a significant safety concern to consider regarding the B3030. Not sure what other Kubota models also offer this type of 'cruise control' but I consider it a strong negative.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #5  
You could have them get the 7800 with the position control valve up and running for your approval before you commit to anything. I don't think they'd have trouble getting rid of it if you don't want it. Heck, I'd trade 'em my B7100 and throw in the loader free!

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #6  
JGbiker,

While we don't know who you are, your situation is likely unique enough that Kubota would if they read your post.

While my expereince is limited, what experience I do have in matters like this has been that a non-disclosure of details of the settlement is pretty much standard...

My advice to you would be to delete your post and do what is best for you, and to keep it between you and Kubota...

Granted you did not ask for this advice...feel free to deposit it in the circular file... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #7  
Velly intellesting (from laugh-in of the late 60's).
I am sorry to hear of your troubles, be patient I'm sure everything will work out.

Firstly this may not be the place for this discussion, it may be more appropriate to discuss this in the company of their counsel and YOUR counsel. But since you, and we, are here, lets look at it constructively. One thing that can cloud things a bit is who actually owns the tractor. Lets assume you own it free and clear.

This is a safety issue. The tractor, all tractors involved, must be made harmless. No joking here, some one may be killed or worse, only injured and still be able to phone a personal injury lawyer.
The mfg cannot allow this situation to continue now that they have been made aware of the problem. There will likely be a recall to some extent to correct the issue if many tractors are involved. Since they are speaking with you on a personal basis I tend to believe only a few are involved and a campaign is unlikely. If its only a few then the odds of getting what you want are more in your favor.
You have more than the one option they have offered. Don't get me wrong here, there is a safety problem, they acknowledge it exists and by you telling them you then also acknowledge you are aware it exists, so don't get the idea this can make you rich (I know you haven't but some will pick up the ball and run with it if you know what I mean).
This particular manufacturer has other models of tractors which have the feature you desire as a standard item. It is well within their means, and certainly in everyones best interest, to make you an offer you can't refuse on such a model, never mind having them make something special for just you (what about service parts if you ever need them?).
Research this a little bit at the dealers, see what you like and without getting the dealer involved, make the manufacturer a proposition of your own initially, through your own counsel eventually if need be.

The manufacturer wants you to be happy and safe. They are a good company. You just need to show them what will make you happy. Be reasonabe and they will be too.

I'm looking into my crystal ball, it's a little cloudy but I may see a Grand L (at cost, less what you already paid) in your future.

My advice is to work with the manufacturer. They are a good, reputable company. They can make you happy if you show them how to.
Keep us posted or feel free to PM me, (I'm interested as I have a story of my own that is not yet resolved).

All the Best,
Martin

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #8  
Kubota is a good company. Be thankful you don't have chinese junk with no support.

If you were a typical American you would clain pain and suffering, and expect Kubota to buy you one of eaaach of their tractors, plus offer an early retirement.

Be sure to thank them after your deal is complete, and I agree that it might be better if this settlement were not posted. There is probably a **** class action lawyer out there waiting to make our tractors cost more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #9  
Amen !

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #10  
I second that Amen! Too many state governments and lawyers looking to generate profit.