Glow plug procedure

/ Glow plug procedure #1  

bikemiser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1830
When I turn the key to use the glow plugs after a few seconds I hear a clicking sound that sounds like a relay cycling on or off but the dash light stays on. It repeats the same thing every few seconds. Does the BX have a timing circuit on the glow plugs? If the dash light would cycle on and off I would have the answer.

/ Glow plug procedure #2  
On my BX2230 I can hear the fuel pump clicking when I'm heating the glow plugs. Is this what you are hearing? Try turning on the ignition without going to the glow plugs and see if you hear the clicking. If so it is the fuel pump. My 2230 has no relays or timers in the glow circuit that would cause a clicking.

/ Glow plug procedure #3  
I think I know the sound he is talking about. It isn't the fuel pump. It sounds like a solenoid or a snap switch, just one "click". I hear it about 2-3 seconds after turning on the ignition, it's louder than the fuel pump which sort of just clatters away alladamtime...

I don't know what it is (yet). Could be a fuel pressure switch, appears to be normal, doesn't affect glow plug circuit.

Russell

/ Glow plug procedure #5  
I hear the same thing. I think it's the hour meter.

On my hour meter there is something that looks kinda like an extra digit to the right of the tenths wheel, but it isn't. It moves back and forth as the click happens.

/ Glow plug procedure #6  
Resurrecting this thread to see if there are any new insights. Every time I start up I wonder about this sound and last night I decided it was time to ask around.

I don't hear this until I get to the glow-plug-warming position. It's a rapid clicking that sounds constantly until I move out of the warming position. I too think it sounds like a relay or solenoid cycling. To me, it's the kind of sound that says "you probably shouldn't be doing this for too long" - like something's trying to run but can't so it just ratchets.

/ Glow plug procedure #7  
Its glow plugs. My father's massey does same thing except his is lower clicking.

/ Glow plug procedure #9  
That really doesn't make sense. You turn to the first indent and the clicking starts ........The key will just stay in that position without holding it and it will continue the clicking sound as long as the key is in that position.

If you continue to turn the key to the second indent ... which you have to hold... the glow plug indicator will come on for the prescribed time... ( 4 seconds?) ....... then you turn the key further to start.

It's gotta be a mechanical device of some description. Is there a diesel mechanic in the house?

/ Glow plug procedure #10  
When I turn the key to use the glow plugs after a few seconds I hear a clicking sound that sounds like a relay cycling on or off but the dash light stays on. It repeats the same thing every few seconds. Does the BX have a timing circuit on the glow plugs? If the dash light would cycle on and off I would have the answer.

The clicking you hear is the fuel pump, the next key stop is for the glowplugs. Hope this helps.
Regards
DGS