B7200HST Transmission slipping?

/ B7200HST Transmission slipping? #1  

jpentz

Hello folks:
I bought a used B7200HST 2WD Kubota with hydrostatic transmission a few weeks ago. It had 533 hours. I requested a 600 hour service and thorough checkout by a local Kubota dealer to inform me if there were any problems with the tractor before buying it. I'm not very impressed with the dealership for various reasons. The tractor was on "consignment" at the dealership I had check it out. I spoke with the owner who said he was not aware of any problems with the tractor (but he had rented it out for about 6 months before selling it).

After using the tractor for less than an hour I noticed a rapid hydraulic drip in what I believe to be the transmission case area (the area under the plate covering the transmission oil filter, on the right side as you sit on the tractor). I've checked the trasmission fuild level (and all other fluid levels) before and after each use. The transmission level is dropping but is still in the acceptable range.

After roughly two hours of use the transmission seems to slip at times. I first noticed it after going down hill in high gear, when I pressed the forward control pedal at the bottom of the hill nothing happened. I let off of the pedal and pressed again. The tractor whined louder than normal and moved forward slower than normal. I stopped, shifted to low and tried again. It whined again and moved forward.

The tractor usually operates fine, but occasionally repeats this phenomenon of transmission slippage.

I'm reluctant to take the tractor to the shop where it was "thoroughly checked out" and found to have "no problems". I'm also reluctant to use the tractor, I had a truck do similar things and ended up relacing the entire transmission.

Have any of you expereienced this same problem?
Do any of you have any suggestions on what the problem may be and what I need to do?
It has been operated only 5 or 6 hours since I bought it, and it is now parked until I can get an answer and get it repaired.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Jeff

/ B7200HST Transmission slipping? #2  
Perhaps find out from where the oil is leaking.

Was the oil and filter changed at inspection/service ?

Also check the external HST linkages to see if all is in order.

Egon

/ B7200HST Transmission slipping? #3  
the whine in a hydrostat is usually aspiration of air, more commonly called sucking air. check the leak area and tighten all clamps and fittings . then try again. the leak may be the problem.

/ B7200HST Transmission slipping?
Problem found and solved!
Mechanic fixed the transmission fluid leak (and aspiration problem), but that didn't fix the transmission slipping problem.

He removed the first three layers of some four layer transmission fluid screen and the slipping stopped. Each layer is progressively finer. He ordered the screen kit, replaced it and the slipping is gone.

The screens apparently had build up on them that would not clean off and this build up apparently prevented the proper pressure in the hydraulic system.

Great mechanic!