Grease Question

/ Grease Question #1  

Larry_Davis

This may sound like a pretty stupid question and maybe I'm being a little too picky but, with the money I've got tied up in tractors I want to do everything "by the book". When it comes to grease every Kubota owner's manual says to use "extreme pressure" grease containing Molybdenum Disulfide and this may be shown on the label as "Moly EP".
My local sources of grease are Auto Zone, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts and Wal-Mart. I cannot find any brand of grease that says specifically "extreme pressure" and Moly EP. Most of the better ones say "high temperature".

Is any high quality, multi-purpose grease acceptable? If not, could you please tell me exactly what you use and where you buy it?

/ Grease Question #2  
Your tractor dealer should have the "right" grease, but if that doesn't work, FWIW, I've been told by several "experts" that for general use, any decent grease is fine. It's when you're working a tractor hard for 8 hours at a stretch that the right grease starts to become an issue. Just keep it lubricated, and you oughta be fine.

/ Grease Question #3  
Either your dealer or try Pep Boys if you have one close, I have bought it there.

/ Grease Question #4  
The "EP" in "Moly EP" means Extreme Pressure. So "Moly EP" is exactly what you are looking for

/ Grease Question #5  
Larry,
I bought mine in walmart. They had five or so large tubes left. It must be a popular product in my area. I looked on the web site for walmart and found no product. Look at this web site though. I have not shopped there. http://shop.incomsupply.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=30311&sku=572311&
I also spent a lot of money on my Kubota and will follow the manual religously to keep my 3830 running in top shape.

good luck

JIM

/ Grease Question #7  
I also want to baby the **** out of my tractor with respect to proper maintenance. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic...should I go to the Moly EP?? I know I am spending more $$ than I probably need too, but it give me that warm fuzzy...

/ Grease Question #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also want to baby the **** out of my tractor with respect to proper maintenance. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic...should I go to the Moly EP?? I know I am spending more $$ than I probably need too, but it give me that warm fuzzy... )</font>

I know exactly what you mean. I keep trying to explain to the dealer my choice was either a Kubota or a Corvette. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You might want to search this forum for grease threads. There have been a LOT.

Personally, I use moly grease on pin joints (fel, bh) and high-speed grease on bearings (mmm).

Russell in Texas

/ Grease Question #9  
You will not go wrong using Mobil1 synthetic grease, I have used that good red stuff for many years… It is rated EP, and it is very hard to wash out of a joint. KennyV.

/ Grease Question #10  
I bought mine from the dealer, it seems to meet all the requirements...