FEL, curl & lift o.k.?

/ FEL, curl & lift o.k.? #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
Forgive my amateurish question.

I discovered that if I put the FEL bucket in the "dump" position, drive up to a stump or rock, then simultaneously lift and curl, I can apply a tremendous amount of force. Over 1.5 tons, according to the manual. Question: Will this hurt the FEL? The manual warns agains using the bucket at full dump for a "bulldozer" because it will put too much strain on the FEL. However, and somewhat contradictory, it also recommends agains curling and lifting at the same time because of "insufficient lift force". I am confused.

Using this method, 4" stumps are simply no match for the 402 loader. Only problem is a lack of traction which I intend to remedy by filling the tires or manufacturing a rear weight to replace the box blade.

I love my 2910! It appears unstoppable. I'm trying to go easy on it at first to break it (and myself) in, but can hardly wait to try some bigger stuff.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ FEL, curl & lift o.k.? #2  
John, if the bucket is in the full dump position (bucket rolled forward as far as it'll go) and you're pushing with it, that does exert a lot of leverage force on the loader arms and on the dump/curl cylinders, so it's undoubtedly a good idea to follow the manual; however, I've done it a bit without ever hurting anything. If it's only dumped forward a bit past level and driven into a stump or rock, then curled back, I sure don't see anything wrong with that, and like you said, you can apply a lot of force to the object of your attention. I frequently "dump" the bucket far enough that I can see the leading edge, or my toothbar, under the bucket as I drive into something I want to tackle. And yes, my manual also recommends against curling and lifting simultaneously. I don't think that can hurt a thing. The problem is that it's sending the hydraulic pressure to both sets of cylinders simultaneously, so the pair that requires the least amount of force is the pair that moves and the other doesn't. I wasn't too pleased with that when I first saw it, but you get used to after awhile and it's not a problem anymore.

Bird

/ FEL, curl & lift o.k.? #3  
I curl and lift under stumps a lot. If you cant lift or pry the stump, you will simply run out of lift power as your relief valve opens. I think "plowing" with your bucket fully dumped is different; you are putting purely mechanical stresses on your cylinders and loader arms that maybe could damage them.

/ FEL, curl & lift o.k.? #4  
fishman
I "coax" a lot of things out of the ground using this method. Only difference is i normally start with the bucket flat. If pushing with bucket in dump pos., I'd try to leave some cyl. travel so you don't bottom out and hurt something. As far as traction..you have hst? Just ease up on the pedal a bit as you loose traction and let your rig do it's work/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
regards
Mutt