L3400 Inner Air Filter

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
When I was shopping for my tractor I remember 2 stage air filters being standard on some Kubotas and not on others... The L3400 I decided on did not have a 2 stage filter as standard. While traveling a while ago I stopped in a Kubota dealership just to look around... got talking to the parts counter, and the issue of air filters came up. While checking his parts manual he finds an inner filter that "looks like it should fit right inside your L3400 stock filter.." Sounds good to me, so I buy it for around $15, and it does appear to fit inside my standard filter, therefore making it a 2 stage filter which should be a much better filtration system... right?

My concern is that it seems "too good to be true"... if it is only a $15 part, why doesn't Kubota make it standard on the L3400? I want to make sure I haven't compromised the integrity of my air filter... does anyone else have any input/info on this?

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #2  
West,

I don't know how it could compromise the quality of the air. As long as it is not distorting the housing to the point where the outer filter is loosing it's seal, and I assume that is not happening. I would just go for it and be happy.

If you want more validation, then compare the part numbers of the air filter housing. If they are the same for an L3010 and L3410 (which both use double filters) and your L3400 which you state does not), then by all means use it!

Can it be that Kubota left out the inner filter to save $10? Or did the dealer fail to install it in the first place? That is my question.

jb

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #3  
<font color="blue"> therefore making it a 2 stage filter which should be a much better filtration system... right? </font>
Actually the inside filter isn't for additional filtration. It is there for a back up. If the out-side filter get a hole or the seal fails, the inside filter is there to protect the engine. The reason that some of the smaller Kubotas don’t have an inner filter is because the are normally placed on machines that will be used in extreme dust conditions. That is machines that are used for Ag service. High dust Ag use machines are more apt to get holes as well as seal failure. The reason is because there are some Ag operations that require the filter to be removed and cleaned daily or more.

If it will fit, that would be great. I know that I wouldn't like having a tractor without the inside backup filter, high dust, Ag us or any thing else. Even if it was just used for mowing it would be added safety.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter
JerryG -

You are right... I agree the inner air filter doesn't provide better filtration... I guess what I should have said is that it provides a better filtration "system" (inherently if the outer filter fails in some way, the inner filter acts as a backup). I guess I need to do some additional research on the housing part numbers.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #5  
If it fits and will seal, I would defiantly say to get it.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #6  
My dealer told me when I got my L3400 this fall that the inner filter wasn't considered a necessity by Kubota on that machine but convinced me to part with another few bucks to have one installed. He said that is was a fail safe for the outer filter and that here in North Texas with all the dust we have during dry spells that it was incredibly cheap insurance. Evidently dust into the air intake is a serious problem on the diesel.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter
I ended up installing the inner filter on my L3400 also... I can't believe that Kubota wouldn't make it a standard, especially since it is such a low cost item.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #8  
My dealer told me the inner filter has a lower micron rating and will "filter out" smaller dust particles than the outer filter, enhancing the overall air filtration system.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #9  
My L2800 also did not come standard with inner air filter but one can be installed and I did before I even loaded it on the trailer.
I think Kubotas thinking on this is it is a Basic L series with the ability to upgrade a little.

/ L3400 Inner Air Filter #10  
Do you have the part number or the application to ask for? I know at my dealer they will not know anything about a part that is not listed for my L3400. Thanks, Brian