L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is?

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
As some of you know, I'm considering a switch from a skid steer to another type of unit sometime in the next year. I'm in no hurry, but I'm starting to gather information so I can make the right choice. I do want to use my various skid steer buckets, as well as an 830-lb grapple, on my new tractor. I can't go too big on a tractor because of my trails in the woods. The grapple is going to be used for brush and relatively small logs, not big boulders (which I move with my Kasco Rooter).

The LA723 loader on an L3430 in one possibility for me, but I have never used a loader on a tractor, so I need some input. With the skid steer, changing buckets in the field is a snap. The quick attach is right in front of me, and with a simple touch of the control levers, I can change the angle of the machine relative to the bucket or grapple. I store my buckets outdoors, although the grapple is on dollies in a garage.

Now with a tractor loader I'm not so sure how simple it would be to switch implements on the loader. I look at those glossy pictures Kubota puts out and it seems to me that the quick-attach is going to be where I can't see it. It would be like feeling your way around in a dark room to find a window latch, and if you get lucky, you get to open the window. If not, you can waste a lot of time trying to do something very simple. Please tell me I'm wrong about this! (The sloped hood of the L39 is very appealing in this regard, but I would have to modify my garage door some, and, in addition, I don't want to spend more than I have to on a tractor.)

My second question relates to tractors and loaders in general. My skid steer loader is rated for 1300 lb. The LA723 loader is rated for 1587 lb, so I assume I could actually LIFT more with any of the L's that use this loader (L3130, L3430, or L3830) than I can with my skid steer, assuming I add adequate weight on the three-point-hitch. I probably still couldn't DIG nearly as effectively as with the skid steer because I wouldn't have the same weight behind the digging bucket (my skid steer plus tracks is over 6000 lb and has 43 hp). Am I right about this? (I am trying to get my major rock removal and grunt work done with the skid steer before I switch to the tractor.) I guess the short question is, "Is the L3430 with quick-attach and auxiliary hydraulic outlet on the LA723 loader an appropriate unit for my skid steer 830-lb grapple and buckets?" I'm trying to get a feeling as to how the L3430 might compare in capabilities to my skid steer.

I would be very grateful to those of you who have the LA723 (or similar loader with quick-attach) to share your experiences!

Danny

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #2  
I own an L3130HST with an LA723 loader. You are very correct in assuming that the loader capacity cannot be attained without rear ballast (I use a box blade). You are also correct that digging traction will be higher with a track shod skid steer. As for lift capability, an 830 pound grapple is a lot for your old machine or the LA723 loader. Going to the L4330 with an LA853 loader adds almost 300 pounds of lift and would be a better fit if you're carrying tree trunks more often than brush.

On the quick release, you'll find it as easy to mount/dismount attachments as the skid steer except you'll have to get off the machine to open and close the levers. I frequently change between pallet forks and a bucket in a few minutes of time with no hassles.

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #3  
Visibility is restricted but I rarely have problems mating up with the attachment of choice. I don't think a sloped hood would help me since I watch the outside corner of the QA to mate.

I agree that a 830# grapple is a bit much for a LA723. I use filled tires for counter balance and they have worked for the maximum the loader can lift.

Vernon

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #4  
We have a 3830 with Q/A, and I switch between the bucket and forks. Don't tell anybody, but I stand up to get a better view as I creep up to attach. Sometimes I regret that we didn't jump up one more notch for the 4330 to get the 853 loader for the extra capacity, but we'd allready stepped up 2 notches from the 3130.

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is?
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm glad to hear you don't have trouble hooking up, but I'm confused about loader lift capacity. If I have 1500 lb lift capacity with the LA723 and I am running an 830 lb grapple, I should still be able to lift more than 600 lb of brush or small logs. I can't imagine getting that much weight of brush in the grapple, and logs I can do individually if need be. Is there really a reason to go to the L4330?

Thanks again,
Danny

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #6  
If you can keep the size of your logs down that you lift in the grapple you won't have a problem. Most of us us driven by too much testosterone (myself included) and have to lift the 10 foot oak tree trunk that is 28" around. at that moment you'll be wishing for more lift as you will be climbing off the tractor to restart the chainsaw.

Realizing the lift limitations of my LA723, I've stuck with the pallet forks to lift tree trunks as I get back about 400 pounds of lift. There isn't a tree that I've dropped where I didn't wish that I could just push the brush together and pick it up with a grapple. It seems like a great tool to have.

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #7  
Have a 4330 w. grapple and other QA attachments and also confess to standing on "final approach" and don't have much trouble, even though I frequently have to offload the implement onto slope, side-to-side, which makes subsequent re-attachment harder ...

Always wondered why the QA "feet" (and the "slippers" they engage into) aren't tapered so they can "find their way" a little more easily.

And, I wouldn't trade down to the 753 from my 853.

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #8  
All of the above posts pretty much sum it up..
My 2 cents is definately go with the L4330 or the L5030.
our 4330 wit 853 fel has a 4in1 67" (I believe) heavy bucket, must be about what your grapple weighs. I wouldnt want a much smaller tractor or loader with the 4in1 buckets weight.
Dont forget that the L39 has alot more hydraulic capacity than our CUT's. If you are used to the skidsteer hydraulics be sure you are tuned into what the CUT can do for you. The L39 may be worth work on the door to allow access?
Also I am pro the GST trans...just my opinion, dont want to start a debate.
Take care,
Runk

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is?
Thanks all. Everything I'm hearing suggests L39 to me, mainly because I believe the L39 is only about 63 inches wide, whereas I think the L4330 is going to be a six-foot wide unit, assuming one uses one of the wider settings for the rear tires. So I would be able to take the L39 into the woods on my trails but not the L4330, plus I would have a better loader than what is on the L4330. The L39 (without backhoe) seems to pack a better loader in a smaller package. Am I correct in this?

Danny

/ L Owners: Do you know where your quick-attach is? #10  
The L39 is a great machine, its only shortcoming will be in ground clearance. If you can live with that, you may have found a winner. Or you can do what Skypup did and buy an L39 for the heavy work and an L3130 for the ground clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif