Disc Harrow for my L2500

/ Disc Harrow for my L2500 #1  

PA John

Just a note to thank the guys who answered my question on the disc harrow. I purchased a 6 foot 20 blade harrow and used it successfully on my L2500. The actual weight of this harrow was listed as 619 lbs. My tractor had no trouble picking it up. The ground was slightly wet as we have been getting good rainfall this year. Thanks again.

/ Disc Harrow for my L2500 #2  
Sincee there seem to be a lot of discs out there that don't work well, would appreciate any details such as model, mfg, price, etc. as well as how well it works and what kind of soil you are using it on. How deep does it cut in a single pass or in two passes for you?

/ Disc Harrow for my L2500
Wen, Sorry I did't get back sooner. Just checked my mail. I bought the 6 foot Howse disc. ($400.00) The disc are seriated and the axles are cast iron which adds weight. I was discing a recently plowed field that was previously covered with grass. The soil was damp and my 27 HP L2500 is running filled turf tires. Because I was cutting the sod, I had to go over the plot several times. This disc unit comes in two smaller sizes for lighter tractors. I was happy with the results. I really don't have much experience with farming.

/ Disc Harrow for my L2500 #4  
Just for some info. I bought a Howse disc harrow that is 6ft wide with 16 22" nothced discs. The rear gang will fold over the front gang to concentrate the weight on the first. It cuts extremely well. To finish merely drop the rear gang, remove some of the axle angle and it does a good all around job.
Later

/ Disc Harrow for my L2500 #5  
Thanks for the information. All of my experience is with older and heavier disks. Glad they worked well for you. It certainly helps others to know what works and what does not. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif