Grading 6 foot rear blade on a BX.

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX. #1  

woodstock

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2200
Well I borrowed my neighbours 6 foot rear blade (he has a B7500) for the last three days. I had to spread the chains, but other then that it has worked real well.
blade30.gif

This is the first time I've used a rear blade and compared to the push blade on my JD 316, this thing works much better. I was thinking of getting a push blade to go with the front quick coupler for the snowblower, but after the rear blade exxperience I am now leaning towards a read blade. I went to the local generic implement dealer and he wants 295 for a 6 foot FarmKing and 275 for the 5 foot. I realy like the 6 foot because with it twisted all the way one way or the other, it just covers the BX's tracks.
One catch though you can't spin it around backwards for backblading. You could however, that is by nipping a 1.5 inch triangle off each top corner.
Should I go for the 6 rear blade, 5 foor rear blade or the 5 foot front blade.
Oh ya, one other concern with the 6 foot, because it is quit a bit wider than the BX, you have to be very mindful of what id around you.
I almost forgot, I was having trouble shaving down that clay they hauled in, blade was too light (230 lbs) so I added a 115 lb elevator counterweight bisciut and that made a world of difference. It also helped in the FEL ballast weight department.

I think $295 is a good price what do you guys say.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (30 hrs)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by woodstock on 10/27/01 10:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX. #2  
Re: 6 foot back blade on a BX.

get the rear blade, and as u say get one that covers your tire marks, mine pivots, so i can use it either way, but do not normally use it for back blading, unless i am just spreading dirt. but u do want that option!! always better to have something, u don't need much , than to not have what u need at times.(did that come out right?) just remeember this rule. BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED THAN TO NEED AND NOT HAVE.

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX. #3  
Get the 6', if you decide it's too big, you can always cut it down.

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX. #4  
This is an excellent discussion! I bought an el-cheapo used from a local farmer, a 6' Worksaver I think. I paid $75 for it, and I think he said he paid 170 for it new. It doesn't have any skid shoes, and it is light-duty, but i figgered i'd just use it for snow removal, since i have a 4' Woods box blade for real work. Any thoughts on this? Think it'll be to wide? I sure don't want to damage anything like the check chains! think It'll push my BX sideways too much. I could cut it down to 5' pretty easily, and I'd actually planned on doing just that...but if any y'all have direct experience with this big of a blade on the BX, I'd love to hear it. If I did cut it down to 5' would it cover the tracts while at an angle? Maybe i'll check on that tonight...

Any ideas for putting skid shoes on it? Its a reversable blade, with a 2" square tube running lengthwise down the center of the blade, stopping about 10" from the ends of the blade.

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX.
Scott,
I used the 6 foot blade again today for 4.5 hours. IMHO it isn't too big for the BX2200. Today I levelled 2 semi loads of crushed lime stone.(approximately 28 yds)
I had my turf tires on and was pulling gravel the full height of the blade in loose gravel and only ocasionally lost traction. Power was neveern an issue only traction. I am going to load my tires ASAP.
I have found that I can rotate the blade backwards by backing on top of some thing to raise the rear wheels and then lowering the 3PH I can spin the blade all the way around.
I am definitely purchasing a 6 foot blade and I recommend you do not cut yours down.
This one doesn't have the shoes you talked about but I think they would be helpful.
Based on how the 6 foot covers the tracks at full 30 degree angle, I don't think a 5 foot would do this.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

<font color=red>Winnipeg, Manitoba</font color=red>
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (50 hrs)

/ 6 foot rear blade on a BX. #6  
get the 6 ft. but u say u are just going to use it for snow removal? oh contrair, u will find more uses for it, and the el--chepos (as u call it) wont hold up very well. but if u are really not going to work it hard it should be ok.