Beat up B7100 runs rough for initial 30 seconds?

/ Beat up B7100 runs rough for initial 30 seconds? #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I just bought (perhaps rescued is the proper term) a neglected B7100 DT as my next project tractor. In general the machine runs well, drives well despite the rusty appearance. I have rejuvenated 5 older compact diesels to date, this being the poorest in initial condition. On to the questions:

1) it is mid 30s F here in Upstate NY; the tractor starts very quickly with just 10sec of glow plug, half throttle seems best, but it runs roughly- almost sputtering like an old gas engine - for the first 30 seconds....never had a diesel do that? Water in the fuel? bad filter? injectors?

2) I have a few local bota dealers that can certainly help with parts - but are there cheaper online sources for oldie parts? This is how I obtained small parts for my other projects, down on the grey market board. Never needed bota parts before...

3) This is my first tractor with turf tires, the rears are super wide. Can anyone recommend a source for chains?

More questions to follow, I am really looking forward to working on this tractor, it is a perfect candidate for a re-freshening /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 850338-7100i.jpg
    850338-7100i.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 259
   / Beat up B7100 runs rough for initial 30 seconds? #2  
I have an old B7100. I had a similar problem a few years back. Mine turned out to be a bad glow plug. It could be that the tractor is starting on two cylinders and taking awhile before the third cylinder heats up enough to fire properly.

I think glow plugs are either good or bad with no in between but just for something to try why don't you try keeping the glow plugs on a longer period of time (I normally run mine for 30 seconds during the winter months) and see if that makes a difference.

A simple way to check the glow plugs (15 minutes)is to disconnect wire/strap that provides power from each of them and measure resistance from the end of the each glow plug to the engine. If all three measurements are nearly the same I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

I found my current set of chains- old tractor chains in a yard sale, Cost me $5.00. It took about two hours to cut them down to fit the tractor.

/ Beat up B7100 runs rough for initial 30 seconds? #3  
1) I have a B6100 and unless I run the glow plugs for a minimum of 30 seconds (60 when below freezing) it is really rough starting. If mine doesn't start right up after the first 30 secs of glow plug then I give it another 30, then it runs like a top.

2) So far it seems parts are easy to get from tractorsmart. There seems to be alot of these old tractors still running strong.

3) Have not needed chains, the big turfs seem to have great traction unless it's sheer ice.