Did I do any damage?

/ Did I do any damage? #1  

Ewang207

Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST, Troy Built 16hp LT
Well, I did something stupid today. Obviously I'm still new to tractors but after using my L3130 for a couple of hours today, I set the parking brake while I got off to clean it. Then I got back on and drove it out to the building without releasing the brake(s). I probably drove it about 200 yards like that. What could I have damaged and do you think I did? There were no indications of damage but I worried.

/ Did I do any damage? #2  
I did the same thing over and over again during the first 15 hours or so of my tractor's life. Nothing bad happened, the brake isn't that good to begin with. If you're concerned, you can adjust it and see if it gets better or worse.

Greg

/ Did I do any damage? #3  
I do it at least once a month.

/ Did I do any damage? #4  
Read the following post and the one buy Jackrabbit_slim (you can find that one with a search) and you will worry no longer... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brake left on...

/ Did I do any damage? #5  
I have 47 hours on my BX23 and have run it many times with the brake on. I have had the same question, "am I doing some kind of damage?". This weekend I was pushing a huge stump, I was working hard at it for about 10 minutes until I realized the brake was on, I took the brake off and pushed the stump like it wasn't there. Whatever I have hurt hasn't showed up yet. Like another post, the brake never held that well anyway.

/ Did I do any damage? #6  
Jim -

Welcome to TBN! This is a pretty understanding bunch here and I'm sure we've all done worse things than that to our tractors; but especially because you're a police officer who collects guns, I'm not about to give you any grief for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My worst move to date is a 15 MPH joy-ride around my building on a paved parking lot ... in 4WD. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif At least it was just before my 50-hour fluid changes, so I could flush out all the metal flakes. There, feel better? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I totally agree with everyone that you did virtually no harm at all to your machine. (Makes me wonder - has anyone ever actually had to replace brake linings on his tractor?). They probably weren't even engaged very hard if you didn't notice them being on. I'm not sure if you have HST, but when I try to take off with the brakes on (a very common occurrence), I get a nice high-pitched squeal from the hydro as a gentle reminder. I'm still seriously thinking of installing a parking brake warning light, as soon as I get a round tuit. I do wish Kubota had included one as standard equipment, along with a horn (oops, that's off-topic). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the meantime, I agree with the others who suggested setting the brakes very firmly on, so there'll be less chance of not realizing they're on until you smell something burning. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Take care, and again - not to worry, I think your baby is just fine -

John

/ Did I do any damage? #7  
Someone recently posted the list of parts and pics of how to install a parking brake warning light. I need to find it again and print it out. Sounds like a good spring day project.

ron

/ Did I do any damage? #9  
I usually never went more than about 20 yards before I noticed my park brake was set. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And we used to have a newspaper reporter with your same name on the police beat who hung out around headquarters most of the time; one of the few reporters we trusted to be honest. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif He later joined the Sheriff's Department and was their public information officer for a number of years.