GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which)

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #1  

CampMan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320, 2012 yr
I’m contemplating between the 6 or so PH gasoline engine type vac/blower or the PTO type vac/blower unit for sucking up the grass cuttings and the fall leaves with my B7510, which is 21 HP with a rear PTO of 16 HP.. Have not had any experience in either. In reading the postings I would say that the engine type is much noisier then the PTO type but how do they match up regarding their sucking and blowing capability? Will running the 60” mmm and the rear PTO with a vac/blower attached slow things way down? I have found many web sites companies on the engine type vac/blower units, however, on the PTO vac/blower type I have only found two (www.Hasty.com & www,Trac-vac.com). Are there others?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #2  
bought the rear PTO driven bagger for my bx2230. Have not used it yet. WIll let you know after my first cutting. May be too late to satisfy you.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which)
Maybe another 3-4 weeks before I buy. What make is your vac/blower?

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #4  
CampMan,

I have used a variety of engine-powered vacuums for years and strongly urge you to select an engine driven unit over the PTO for your tractor. Vacuums take a lot of power. When you have to distribute the available engine power among tractor traction, mower deck, and vacuum it is easy to find yourself behind the 8-Ball.

Currently my tractor has 31 hp (26 PTO), my deck is 72 inches, and the engine on my Trac-Vac is 13 hp. Everything works great on my steep slopes with this much power. When I tried to use an 8 hp vacuum with the 72 inch deck, it wasn't enough. The problem was that it was too easy to plug because the vacuum wasn't powerful enough. Of course if you drive very slowly and make sure the grass isn't very tall when you vacuum you don't need as much power.

Sometimes folks say they want the PTO vacuum because it means one less engine to take care of and has less noise. OK, but you are really working on the margin with a PTO vacuum unless you have a small deck, level ground, and mow under ideal grass conditions.

Let us know what you decide.

JackIL

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #5  
I never lacked power with my BX2230/54" MMM/PTO vac. Excellent combination. This vac combination was very powerful and I would recommend it to anyone. In addition to less noise, another engine with a different fuel type and designed compatibility, it is much more maneuverable than a pull behind "trailer" type unit.

I have contacted three different Kubota dealers attempting to obtain some literature / brochure or something on their grass catcher, they had nothing. Each dealer gave their opinion on how the power housing was attached; 1) that it ran off the rear PTO and attached to the 3pt hitch, 2) that it ran off the mid PTO somehow, & 3) that it ran off a double pulley on the rt hand side spindle. However, I was able to catch a poor picture of a Kubota three bagger, as I see things now, the unit would be to small, I’d be making to may trips over to the grass pile. For those of u that have the unit just how does the power-housing unit?

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #7  
Here you go.

There are several baggers that Kubota has made over the years. This is the one that I have (had - sold my BX). It ran off the rear PTO. No belts, or pulleys. All shaft drive and gear boxes. The 3 bags hold 9 bushels plus another 2 (estimate) in the cover before it quits picking up leaves, grass, sod, small children and animals... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #8  
I purchased the Trac Vac with 8 Hp engine and chipper.
Very pleased. I was concerned about the extra engine load on the PTO so I went with the noisy engine. Hearing protection a must.

/ GRASS/LEAF VAC/BLOWER--ENGINE or PTO TYPE (which) #9  
Pics and a proper evaluation are formally requested, please. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks... So that is directly off the rear PTO. As I checked around etc, the 9 bushel is Kubota's largest. I would need about three times that.
Tks