Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Okay, I'm a New Holland guy, but my wife has a little Kubota tiller she was given by a friend who had no more use for it. It's a tiny little FL850, 36" tiller for a BX7500 or similar sized tractor. My NH is a TC45D, 45 hp tractor and seriously oversized for this little tiller. But hey! It's only going to till 3' whether it's behind a 10 hp or 100 hp tractor, so power should not make any significant difference, especially since the tiller has a slip clutch, right?...uh...WRONG! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I failed to realize that the tiller would work fine, but being so small, it's geometry was not meant for a tractor as large as mine. As soon as the tines started digging and the tiller dropped into the soil, I suddenly heard, "CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!" and looked back to see the PTO shaft flopping loose. Oops! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The u-joint was in pieces. As it dropped down, the PTO shaft had hit my swinging drawbar. AARGH! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Why hadn't I thought to remove that? It never even occurred to me until the damage was done. On a smaller tractor or with a larger tiller, it would not have been an issue, but on this little tiller it was right in the way. Of course, the 2" ball didn't help any either. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So I looked at the PTO and only the spider was bad. It had actually broken one ear off where it goes into the bearing cup. With a little tapping using a drift, the u-joint came apart. Next, I made a trip to tractor supply and they had lots of u-joints, even some metric sizes, but none I thought would work. Most were in the $12-$16 range, but I didn't want to go home and find out "close but no cigar." I called the Kubota dealer and the parts guy looked up the spider kit. "Yep, got two," he said. How much? "$51.50," he proudly announced.

When I picked myself up off the floor and gained my composure, I told him to put it in "will call" and I would come by to get it. Whew! I think their retirement fund must need shoring up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So now the little FL850 is fixed, but I've learned my lesson. I bravely asked my wife if I could buy the right tiller for my tractor and she actually told me I could. Nuthin' like breaking her tiller just to make my point. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So I bought a 6' KK tiller from TSC and tilled my garden with no more problems. The garden looks great and that big tiller sure looks nice behind my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So now we have this slightly used Kubota tiller for sale. Anybody have a clue what it's worth? I'm thinking of putting it on ebay and letting it go for whatever it will bring...just as long as it's at least $51.50. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #2  
Dang, I wish it was 12" wider and you lived closer to Indiana. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you take any pictures of the 36" tiller hooked to your TC45? That would have been some neat pics. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #3  
I just sold that same machine. Ask $750 for it, settled for $700 thru "Craigslist". Very good condition with a faded paint job. I too upgraded to a KK 60" machine for my B7800. Good luck!

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #4  
I have always heard that some people go to great lengths to post on the Kubota forum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad to hear the KK tiller is working well. I also have been looking at them, maybe for next year. I wonder if they come in orange?

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #5  
Is yellow a shade of orange? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wonder if they come in orange? )</font>

Sure, they come in orange...for twice the price. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW Don. I thought the 6' tiller would put a pretty good load on my tractor, but it was like there was nothin' back there at all. I could not believe how easily it tilled. Your 5030 should handle one with ease. They are $1499 at TSC and thats a gear-drive model. They don't use a chain in the gearbox. And speaking of gearboxes... The PTO gearbox takes 1 qt of 80W140 oil and the tiller drive gearbox takes 2 quarts. You need to make sure you have plenty of gearbox oil and grease handy when you get it home because it comes dry. The tiller carrier bearing on the end opposite the gearbox takes a bunch of grease (about 1/3 tube) to fill it. I had plenty of oil and grease, but if you don't want to have to make another of those long trips into town just because you forgot to get lube for a new tiller. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #7  
Now now... If that was the case, all us Kubota folks would be posting on an Allis Chalmers page. Persian Orange. Ever notice how Kubota orange is so close of a takeoff of AC Orange /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Mixed Colors...a Tiller Story #8  
Jim, thanks for the info, that will save me a trip to town. You can post here anytime. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
RobertN, my touchup paint is Ace's "Allis Chalmers" orange. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif