L5030: problems with computer or associated parts?

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I spent a while reading the freakin' manual... always dangerous... discovered in the electrical section that there is a little 8bit CPU, ram, and digital communications running all around in the 5030 (other models too). You can even program the booger in case you change tire sizes, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Lots of other neat features for the geek in us all. This had totally missed my awareness level previously even tho I'm very sensitive to this kind of thing.

Then, I realized that in all the posts I have read that I have not seen any reference to the CPU and its electronic monitoring of tractor performance, nor any problems identified as associated with the CPU or its communications system or the intellipannel. That's really cool! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So, my conclusion is that this system is extremely reliable and I need not worry about it at all. This is good, I have enough to worry about /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

However if there is experience to the contrary, I'd like to know what to watch for.... so, anybody had tractor computer/communications problems?

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #2  
Let us hope it is not running MS Windows embedded. Oh, eight bits? We are safe.

I didn't say this.... I will be nice...

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #3  
The intellipanel with the CPU is just sitting on the dash in the gauge cluster. It doesn't really run anything, you can remove it and jumper a few wires and the machine will run unless it is the GST model.

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts?
I noticed it is deeply imbedded in the GST model. Since I am HST then no concern. I just thought it interesting that the CPU is the guts of the reporting... and will give battery voltage, etc... also, it senses the state of the gear shift... H, M, or L... forward/reverse, all sorts of stuff. Thus, it will inhibit starting for safety reasons, etc. if it "senses" that the tractor is not in a safe startable state. Also, it determines the time that the glow plugs are on.... based on engine temp.

I knew there were computers all thru my cars, just never occured to me that they were in the tractor, too, and digital sensors at that.

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #5  
The fact that the CPU is involved in the control of the GST is in part why I went to the HST. I figured that if the panel failed in a few years that, with the help of a schematic, I could jumper a few wires and continue to operate the tractor.

Vernon

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #6  
TexasJohn - Nice work! I have the complete manual but never read that part! I just had some fun reprogramming my CPU for my correct tire size (44 x 18 - 20 [R3's] - Code # 2121). It was set to code # 2242, which doesn't even exist. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It'll be interesting to see what the display lists for my top speed now - with the "mystery code", it was 16 MPH.

There's no code listed for my Michelin XM27 19.5 LR 24's, but I just figured out they'll bring my top speed up to 18 MPH - I'll just add 2 MPH to the speed on the display. When I put them on, I'll have to start racing for pink slips. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe I can remap the torque band and tweak the injectors a little too ....

I might have to sell my tractor now though - I'm not sure I want to own a machine that's smarter than I am. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I might have to make it watch a certain scene from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" just to keep it in line. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And Mike - as for "Let us hope it is not running MS Windows" - as you said, being 8-bit we're probably safe; plus if anything it must be running Linux, because mine has never crashed and nobody's hacked into it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks again for the nice find John - if I had the authority, I'd give you a field promotion to "Gold Member". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

Wow! What a deal... not only did I spend all day pulling plastic pipe underground with the tractor... what fun!! Then I get in and see that you liked my find.. So much fun! Thanks for your kind words... I kinda wonder what the result is of inserting a code different from those listed... could it be that this is a way to hack the program... maybe find a code that gives true MPH for non listed tires...just a thought...

/ L5030: problems with computer or associated parts? #8  
The next time one of you folks files on an Airbus A380 jumbo jet remember that it has 1 billion lines of software code that keeps it running :)

Thats a lot less code than windows.

Well, a little off topic, but at least I don't need an internet connection and constant updating to keep my 'bota running! And, my 'bota destroys any worms and trojans that get in its way!!