Default B7100 Breaking axle pins

I am having a problem with my B7100 2wd HST. It is breaking the locating pins for the rear axles lately. Has anyone else ever had this problem ? is there an easy fix ?
    There is some play in the holes through the axle and the collar that holds them on, but I wouldnt expect it to cause such a problem. Any ideas, anyone ?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

Default Re: B7100 Breaking axle pins

Common probloem with the B7100. When I had one I replaced the pins with 7/16" bolts which fit more snugly in the holes. That didn't cure it entirely but at least it was longer between broken bolts.

I used Grade 8 bolts but you might try grade 5 first. I am not sure which Grade is more brittle. Perhaps someone with more bolt knowledge can clue us in on that.

Bill Tolle

Ontonagon county, Upper Penninsula of Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 old style

My B 7100 is an old style 4 X 4 and yours may be different. On mine the locating pins are just that, locating pins. Itís the job of the pinch bolts to hold the wheels tight on the axles. I think that if you jack up the rear end you may find that the wheels are loose on the axle and wobble quite a bit. A few years ago I found that when the pinch bolts used to clamp the rear wheels tight to the axles were tightened as far as they would go they were not putting enough pressure on the axles and the wheels were allowed to wobble a bit. Apparently, over the years the axle holes in the wheels have worn and stretched. I cut pieces of steel and used them as spacers between the end of the bolts and the pinch plates to make up the difference and tighten the wheels on the axles. Worked just fine, the wheels run true, no more wobble.

Tractor
    Zen-Noh (Kubota) B7000. Massey Ferguson MF35

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I used Grade 8 bolts but you might try grade 5 first. I am not sure which Grade is more brittle.)</font>
    Grade 8 is more brittle.

Tractor
    M9000/L3400/B7500

Check this out!

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...ners/index.asp <font color="blue"> </font>

kubota sells a retrofit hub to fix this problem.

I use bandsaw blade material for shims to cut down on the slop. Also wrap the whole thing so the locator pin can not drop out if broken.

Some where I have a picture but can't find it at the moment.

Egon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Found the pictures on this thread.

web page

Egon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]