Today: out with the green, in with the orange!

/ Today: out with the green, in with the orange! #1  

proudestmonkey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
My BX 2230 arrived today, and he took my JD away--already a distant memory. One thing I can say already is this: what a difference in dealers. When the Deere dealer dropped off my tractor last year, he basically showed me how to start it up, apply the brake, and then left. The Kubota guy, had me and my wife take off and then put back on the FEL, take off the mower, and then had us both navigage some little hills with suggestions about settings, what to look out for, etc. We had told him this was all new to us. I've never experienced this kind of friendly service. The dealer is nearly 20 miles away, and he said that in about a month, I should call him and he'd swing by sometime to take a look at the tractor and make sure everything is working okay, and to see if I have any questions. Wow!

My wife told me she thought I'd regret not getting the FEL right away. If today was any indication, she is right. Although the FEL sure does change the way the thing feels driving around, its okay with the juiced wheels and a ballast box with about 250 pounds of retaining wall stones.

Just for fun, after the dealer guy left, I regraded a portion of my driveway where it forks off with a tractor path to the shed. Over the years, the grade has changed so that water backs up onto the driveway and pools there. Not anymore. In less than half an hour, I changed the grade and added a rut on the side for the water to drain away from the driveway down a hill. If I had done this with a shovel, it would have taken me several hours (which is why I've let it go for this long).

I also discovered that with the FEL and the ballast box, I have less than 4 inches of room to spare in my shed (front to back). Whew! At least i can get it in the door with the mower deck off. I'll be installing wider doors in a few weeks (custom ordered), and then I will be able to get it in the shed with the mower on.

Tomorrow is a long (14-hour) workday, so no Tractoring until Thursday. Oh well, I've waited 42 years, I guess another day won't hurt.

/ Today: out with the green, in with the orange! #2  
Congrats on the new tractor, and congrats on finding a great dealer!

/ Today: out with the green, in with the orange! #3  
It's amazing how quickly my tractor (B3030) does the jobs I kept putting off. My son spread about 20 yards of mulch around the landscape today. It only took him an hour and a half with the tractor and FEL. That would have been an all day job with a fork and wheel barrow. The picture is of him on the tractor last fall. He loves to drive it and never complains about yard work anymore.

Attachments

• 859521-P1010005 (Small).JPG
    859521-P1010005 (Small).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 269
   / Today: out with the green, in with the orange!
I know what you mean. Last fall, I spread mulch over about 800 feet of walking paths through our woods. It took me two full days. This time though, instead of buying a bunch of bags from the local home improvement store, I'll have our local garden center deliver several cubic yards and just dump it in a pile, which I can then move with the FEL. I am not sure how I'll use the tractor to actually spread it. I suppose I'll just dump piles of it every few feet, and then rake it out by hand.

I am taking most of Friday off because I am too excited to use the Tractor to work all week. I plan to spend a good chunk of the day pulling fence posts and trunks from the edge of a pond which has apparently grown quite a bit over the past 15 years (we just bought the property last year, and until now had nothing to pull them out with). Should make it a much prettier site.

/ Today: out with the green, in with the orange!
Here is a picture of my new tractor, with attachments.

Attachments

• 859708-FirstDayWithKubota-Michael-01.jpg
    859708-FirstDayWithKubota-Michael-01.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 265