Woods groundbreaker BH6000

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #1  

Bota_Orange

Tractor
2005 Kubota BX2230
I am posting this for anyone who was like me going back and forth on whether to buy a backhoe for your BX2230 or not. For a few years I have always said, "yeah a backhoe would be useful, but do I really need one"? The answer to this question is YES YOU DO!!! I have only had my backhoe for about three weeks now and I am not sure why I waited so long to get one. When I got the backhoe on the tractor I had 54 hours on my meter- I now have 82 hous on my meter and have pulled close to 40 medium sized stumps. I notice that I get better every hour I operate that thing. So, if you are on the fence then do what Nike says 'Just Do It' I am confident you won't regret it, you won't know how you survived without one.
I can't wait until my Markham toothbar comes in, then I will be set.

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #2  
Steve,

There has been discussion of whether the sub-frame causes the 3ph not to be able to open to its full width. Would you mind doing us a favor? Could you open your turnbuckles full open, raise the 3ph to its mid height, spread the lift arms as far apart as possible and measure the width between the socket joints? I can barely get the U-bar of my PHD in that space as is. If the bh sub-frame does impede the spread as some (Matt-are you reading this?) have said, I would not be able to use my PHD.

Also, how comfortable or uncomfortable are you sitting in the ROPS while on the bh? I heard there's a new aftermarket replacement foldable ROPS available.

Thanks,
Tom

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #3  
How difficult is it to attach/remove the back hoe? There are plenty of projects for which I could use one, but it's already a pain in the butt just reattaching the rotary cutter (the attachment I use the most) after using the PHD.

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000
When I take the backhhoe off I will take that measurement for you just to verify. I too think that it is difficult enough to get the PHD on and off of the 3Piont hitch. Looking at the way the subframe for the backhoe attaches I can see absolutely no reson why it would impact the spread of the 3 point hitch, but I'll check for ya. It will probably be about 2 or 3 weeks because I am in the middle of digging out stumps for my detached garage. I need to get that done before the wife changes her mind (just kiddin').
As far as the comfort of the ROPS I don't have an issue. I am 6'1'' and don't have any problem. However, I don't just jump out of the seat real quick. Personally I like the availability to fold the ROPS down but is it worth it, don't know. I know I had briefly thought about just trading in on a BX-23 but after using the Woods backhoe I have no doubt I made the right call, you can't go wrong. Where is the information on this aftermarket foldable ROPS and what is the cost? To summarize: I don't think there will be a problem with the 3ph and you will be as comfortable on this as buying a new tractor. Let me know if you get one.

RickOliver,
I have yet to take it back off after installing it but will know sometime in the next few weeks. I will say I think it is going to take about 5 minutes just looking at what you have to do. When installing it the first time BUSTUMUP and I had trouble getting it on because the backhoe and the tractor were on different planes and angles. Had they been on the same plane then we could have done it in about 5 minutes and that was the first time. I am confident if you get one of these you will save your back. If I didn't have to worry about close-quarter jobs I would probably throw my shevles away. "Hope to never dig another hole by hand"

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #6  
Bota Orange,

What size bucket(s) do you have? I have just ordered a BH6000 with 8" bucket as I am unsure of its performace in the clay loam, here. I was going to get the 8" and 12" but if the 12" cannot dig in this, I may as well invest in a 16" for backgrading. What kind of soil do you have as well?

Glad to see you are so impressed by it.

Thanks

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....I'll check for ya. It will probably be about 2 or 3 weeks because I am in the middle of digging out stumps....)</font>

No problem, Thanks!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where is the information on this aftermarket foldable ROPS and what is the cost?)</font>

Here is the thread.

I have a 12" bucket and mine does great with it. I have very rocky soil like what may have been a river bed at one time but then you get right into good ole Virginia clay. I just pulled out my final stump in the area I'm building my gararge, a little ahead of schedule. I will take a some pictures of these stumps and you can assess the ability of this backhoe for your self. The one thing I will mention this job was pretty rough on my bucket it actually bent the side- kinda ticked about that but will just try to fix it when time permits.

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #9  
I think I've put the BH6000 thru about all the abuse I could think of. We've built trails, dug about 1000 yards of 2 ft trench and planted a ton of trees with it.

Life has not been perfect but it has not been bad either. The 2230 fram with the Woods kit installed is plenty strong and you can't notice or measure any frame flex or bending.

The frame kit does impact the spread of the 3PH. It will not open to a full spread at the mid point. My rb-22 from Midwest will not lift completely unless I revers the pins or use the rb-15 hitch for it.

Other than the 3PH item I've not fond any issues with the BH6000 at all. I use a 12" bucket and have dug in about it all. Shale, clay, upstate NY stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and basically dirt will heavy rocks mixed in.

So far the only failures have been a hose leak and right now the main boom pistol for left right movement is starting to leak at the seal. Of course the 1 yr warranty is up and I might be faced with a nasty bill for that.

Over all, I've used it side by side with the BX23 and it is every much as powerful, I think more so, and the design is killer. The BX-24 BH is a ringer for the Woods design.

I think for the tractor, its the best BH you can buy. A larger ROPS would be nice, I still haven't modified the one we have, but I plan to have it cut about 10" above the fender, a hinge put in and a new taller/wider ROPS bent for me.

/ Woods groundbreaker BH6000 #10  
One last point /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Gannon buckets on the Woods BH is much than the Kubota buckets.