bx wood splitter

/ bx wood splitter #1  

birdfan

Probaly a stupid question but could you attach a rear wood splitter to the FEL control valve? I have a 4 way fel valve on a bx 2230. I was hoping to attach a rear wood splitter like the one from Norther Tools. Forgetting for a moment about the slow cycle times, could I attach the hydralic to the fel control valve?

/ bx wood splitter
Does anybody know? or is this a really dumb question?

/ bx wood splitter #3  
Not a dumb question - unless we're both dumb. I've been wondering the same thing. I've thought about adding an electric diverter valve for remote hydraulics using the existing joy stick so as to not have to disconnect the loader to use the hydraulics. Just flip a switch.

/ bx wood splitter #4  
I suspect it is doable. How practical would it be is another question.

It would be REAL slow to run. I think a better solution if you want to use your tractor as a power source would be a PTO driven hydraulic pump.

ron

/ bx wood splitter
Thanks for the reply! So this might be possible. I was thinking about adding an extension that would allow me to push the fel control lever forward and backwards from the 3 pt wood splitter. Would adding all of that tubing from the fel to the 3pt cause the hydraulics to be even slower?

/ bx wood splitter #6  
Birdfan and Toby,
Yes, you can attach a log splitter to your BX, or ant other tractors FEL valve...
However, the splitters come with their own valve to operate the ram, so no extension handle is needed to the joystick.
But you will HAVE to bungee cord the joystick down or up so the oil stays flowing through the splitter valve, Unless you re-plumb the splitter to eliminate the valve, but then you would loose the detent that returns the splitter ram automatically.

Adding the extra hose will not make the splitter slower than it already will be!

Does this answer your question?

/ bx wood splitter
YEs it does and thank you. Could holding down the fel control valve for a long period of time cause any problems?

/ bx wood splitter #8  
<font color="red"> Could holding down the fel control valve for a long period of time cause any problems? </font>

Only if the valve on the splitter is a closed center valve, which they are not OR the valve on the splitter has a lower GPM rating than your BX, and that will not be the case either.

/ bx wood splitter #9  
I'm not sure about the BX. but when I added the hoe to my 3130 they ported the hydraulics off the loader. There is a kit that runs a hydraulic line to the back. This was designed for the BH, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for a splitter. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about keeping the joystick valve open.. and it doesn't port off the joystick, rather off the hydraulic pump itself so flow level is great.

/ bx wood splitter #10  
The answer is yes it will work and work just fine. However, even with the throttle WIDE OPEN the splitter will move mind-numbingly SLOW. You will tear your hair out with impatience while the hours rack up on your tractor.

Either run off the PTO or better yet, get a self contained one and use the FEL to load - unload it to save your back! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif