BX23 Land Clearing Pics

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #1  

AMR

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030
Just thought I would post a few shots of my barn preparation. I am pulling stumps and moving rocks getting to level a pad and begin foundations.

Attachments

• 859735-stump1.jpg
    859735-stump1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,262
   / BX23 Land Clearing Pics
This is a shot showing the location. I removed this tree without cutting it becuase my wife thinks the saw wakes up the baby while he is sleeping? The only time I get to work on this is his morning nap on the weekends, sometimes 20 minutes and sometimes 2 hours. Oh well, as long as I get to play, work I mean, with my tractor I have fun.

For the foundation I am thinking about digging a 10" wide strip 48" deep and then using a 2x12 just to form the foot above the ground, I will use a little more concrete but save excavation, forming, backfill etc. Soil here is silty sand, a little wet, no huge boulders (that I know about). Thoughts?

Attachments

• 859737-stump and tree.jpg
    859737-stump and tree.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,214
   / BX23 Land Clearing Pics #3  
Looks like the BX23 is in it's element and doing a good job.

I like those ROPS mounted spots, what brand are they?

Nice looking estate.

Volfandt

Thanks for the compliment, the lights are Kubota, they work great I have used them extensively for plowing and mowing.

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #5  
The only time I get to work on this is his morning nap on the weekends

Don't get this. Do you have to watch the baby when he's awake or are you afraid if he sees the tractor he will be scared for life?

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #6  
For the foundation I am thinking about digging a 10" wide strip 48" deep and then using a 2x12 just to form the foot above the ground, I will use a little more concrete but save excavation, forming, backfill etc. Soil here is silty sand, a little wet, no huge boulders (that I know about). Thoughts?

You probably need to check with your local building code folks. I believe that in most areas foundations for buildings need to have at least a 12” high ‘footing’ that is twice as wide as your wall with the wall centered on it, that is; if your wall is 8” thick you need a footing that is at least 12” high and 16” wide. The idea is to help keep the wall from tipping and settling. 48” deep sounds good to me; here the code requires 43”.

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #7  
Beautiful house you have! Really like the way the garage/barn integrates with the main house and porch. Nice NE design. Massive chimney...but there's a nice fireplace in there.

Thanks guys for the comments. During the week I put in about 12 to 14/day at work and get about 1 hour with the baby each day so mama wants me to spend as much time with him as I can on the weekends, which definately puts a crimp in the hunting, fishing, and tractoring plans, but I am looking forward to when he can be in the seat and I can be working for him.

Regarding the foundation, I agree, generally you have a stem wall on a footing, but I did check with the code official in town and he is happy with a 48" deep 10" wide wall for an outbuilding. My other thought, if he had a problem, was a full 12" wall which would be $700 more in concrete but still cheaper than forming the entire thing. Dimensions are 18x20.

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #9  

AMR,

I was gonna mention the footing but if the inspector says OK, well then it's OK.

However, if I were you I'd pour the foundation maybe two feet above the ground. Avoids a lot of probs. Namely rot and bugs (termites). I have the rot prob w my house and garage, but not the bugs.

/ BX23 Land Clearing Pics #10  
Isnt the 23 a great machine!! Make yourself a thumb for it ,it will be very helpfull on a project like that.
ALAN