BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #1  

dtmarion

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jan 2, 2002 B7500
I'm in the research phase of my first 'Real' tractor purchase. I've been reading many of the posts on TBN and they have been of great value. But I'd like to throw out a question to any and all who may have been or are currently in my shoes.

I have 2ac of mostly level lawn, two 110ft driveways at my home and 5ac of hills and woods at our vacation spot in Maine. I'm looking to mow, plow, move rocks plus what whatever else I can have fun doing with the tractor.

I've gotten the OK to purchase the BX from the wife but now that looking at the B7500 I really like what I see.

Options that I'm considering are FEL, 60"MMM for now.

BUT is it worth the extra $2050.00??? How strong is the BX???

Any input would be great! Thanks.

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #2  
I was inthe same exact position you are just a short month ago. I had looked extensively at the BX and at the last minute switched to the B7500HSD. I think picking between the two is simply a matter of preference as they (I think) can pretty much do the same thing but have a different feel about them. Here are the things I liked and disliked about the BX which also relate to the B7500.

BX likes
1. The Bx feels like a large garden tractor as opposed to a small Full size tractor. Not intimidating to my wife.
2. The BX has a lower center of gravity for use on inclines.
3. The BX has no clutch making operation easier
4. The BX pto operation makes more sense to operate as you can easily operate each one alone or simultaneously.
5. Cupholder/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
6. Price

BX dislikes:
1. I didn't like the seating position. I felt too high with the seat all the way back and felt like I was reaching down to the wheel. I tend to have back pain when not sitting up straight and thought this would be a problem.
2. I didn't like the reverse installation of the engine from a maintenance stand point. Since I didn't get one, I'm not sure if this was a real problem or not.
3. I didn't like the lack of a tachometer.
4. I didn't like the lower ground clearance.
5. R4 tires not available.
6. Didn't like the single cylinder bucket operation of the FEL bucket. Wanted a larger capacity also.
7. No back hoe available.
8. Lower lift possible on the 3 pt hitch.

In the end I think these are all just justifications to myself as to why I spent the $3k extra. What it really came down to was I just felt more comfortable with the B7500 and the price was the only real thing preventing me from choosing it (Wife). I know the BX2200 would have worked fine for probably all I will do but then again there was always that little feeling that it might not. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

2001 B7500HSD, LA302 fel, 60"mmm, grass catcher

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #3  
This one comes around about every 2 to 4 weeks.

The answer depends on your usage. If you are going to do more mowing than lifting, I'd lean toward the BX. If it's the other way around, I'd lean toward the B7500.

Another issue is the 3PH. Both at category 1, but the B7500 lifts at least 6" higher, and "some" implements need that lift. Cases in point are post hole digger and backhoe. I've read one post from a BXer that has a post hole digger, but he had to take a chunk out of the auger shaft in order to lift it off the ground without dragging it.

Both tractors are very capable. B7500 has a bit of a power advantage, but not a lot. B7500 also has a weight advantage that comes into play with the heavier jobs.

The GlueGuy

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #4  
I went thru the same question this past August. My initial impression was to purchase a BX2200. I decided in th end to go with the 7500 largely because of th eimproved grouond clearance. working in our woods in N. Michigan I am glad that I went with the 7500. With your planned use in Maine I am sure you will appreciate the extra clearance also. The extra capability of the FEL with the 7500 is an added benefit.

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #5  
I was also in the same situation and after many hours of reasearch on the board here and a short test drive. I decided to purchase the B7500. I just wasn't sure about the bx series. Not wanting to start a flame war it just didn't feel like a real tractor to me. I think you will find many people that disagree with me. But, thats just my opinion. One other interesting footnote. My dealer told me that he has never had anyone come in after a purchase and trade down to a BX. However,he has had 6 out of 48 BX buyers this year, come back and trade the 2 week old BX on a B7500. Once again, please understand both tractors are top notch. But for me it was the B7500.

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #6  
<font color=blue>However,he has had 6 out of 48 BX buyers this year, come back and trade the 2 week old BX on a B7500.</font color=blue>

Not to start a war here, but I doubt your dealers facts are accurate. Is it possible to challenge him on this matter.
I've used my neighbours B7500 and vise versa. We both agree they feel different and they both have their strong points.
But if anyone is disapoined with a BX220, IMHO they won't be $3,000 happier, just too embarrassed to admit they didn't get sufficient additional bang for the buck.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

<font color=red>Winnipeg, Manitoba</font color=red>
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (50 hrs)

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #7  
Actually, I traded down to a BX from a 7500. I took a virtually new 7500 home for a try and decided I liked the BX better--still do. In fact, I think the 7500 was returned for a BX the first time thus my being allowed to take this newly "used" 7500 tractor home for a try. Speculation can get ya in alot of trouble /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif . I got my BX stuck in the mud of my dry pond and then got my little Toyota stuck trying to dislodge it and had to call in "Big Green"--no not a John Deere but my green Tundra. Fact is given my experinece with the higher center of gravity 7500 it would have been unable to get into my dry pond in the first place and dig out tons of dirt much less get the opportunity to get stuck in it /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif--no not the lagoon again--the pond this time . Actually, from what you describe I think you might be happier with a 7500. Good luck. J

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #8  
Trescrows,(Grand exalted ruler of BX Doom)

Woodstock beat you to the punch by over 5hours, I think he is after your throne???/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I would also keep my eye on RPM. They may be in cahoots/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Al

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by twinkle_toes on 11/06/01 02:30 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #9  
<font color=blue>7. No back hoe available.</font color=blue>

Say goodbye to reason number 7.
35-80665-BX1.jpg

/ BX2200 Vs B7500: The Age Old Question #10  
I was/ am in the same situation you are in. I'm torn between the 2200 and the 7500. I think I've made my mind up (I'm probably not buying until spring - just doing my research currently to make sure I've made the right decision/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif). I'm probably going to go with the 7500. As I think Billman said, I just felt more comfortable on the 7500. The 2200 just didn't feel right to me. I think it is a great little tractor lots of features and power, but just didn't seem right for me. Also the higher ground clearance vs. higher center of gravity came into play for me. I have a ditch (actually now that the excavator has been here it is more like a stream water continuously - I'm sure he didn't do that it was just clogged before and didn't flow except into my yard /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif - no wonder I couldn't get my yard to dry last year so I could mow.) that I want to be able to work both mowing and landscaping. I'm still worried about the COG but I don't think the BX would be able to slosh through it with it lower clearance. Again I think the 7500 felt more tractory and the BX felt like my old Sears Garden Tractor - hopefully that can RIP soon. Before everyone jumps on me I now it isn't a GT, it just felt that way during my test drive.

Jim
7.68 acres flat land with a ditch that need TLC