BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #1  

botalvr

Silver Member
After doing all the maintenance on my deck, sharpened blades, etc.
There was a vibration. I just thought my blade sharpener made one unbalanced during the lateest sharpening.

While mowing (a total of about 20 minutes), all of a sudden there was a very bad noise, so I immediately shut down the deck, and headed the BX for the house. All my fresh diesel was pouring out from underneath after the noise.
Then when trying to dash back to the house, the trans started making a grinding noise, I stopped trying to drive it under it's own power at this point.
I left it running on the street, with the flashers and headlights, so no one would hit it, and get the truck for a tow. Was running fine.
Upon inspection, the drive shaft to the mower deck had detached itself from the BX, (I thought for sure that it was fully seated, as I hear the click and could not pulll back on the shaft).

So, I would assume that the fuel tank was damaged, and the worst one is I saw that the trans filter was torn, so I assume I lost all my fluid. (nice place for the filter there Bota engineers)

Am I going to be alright? Did I toast my trans? Is it even worth replacing the filter and filling the trans back up with fluid for a try? Filings check? How long is the warranty on the drive train? I looked and could find any mention of the warranty period on my contract.

This is such a bummer, I love my BX, and now I hurt it.

Anyone, something, anything? I'm ready to vomit.

Thanks

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #2  
Sorry to hear it. If it's any consolation your not the 1st one to experience this. You may not have gotten the tank. The fuel line, a fuel filter and fuel pump are all in that general area, it may be just those that are damaged but I'd say it's probably the fuel line.

Theres a good chance that you didn't do any major damage to the HST either. Replace the filter then fill it back up with SUDT or UDT then try it out once you get the fuel situation straightened out.

The warranty period is two yrs from sate of purchase. I'd say your machine is over that.
Good luck
Volfandt

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #3  
(I thought) My 2230 had a 3 year warranty, I can't comment on the 2200's.

MY OPINION: I would pull (what's left of) the filter and drain the hydro fluid and check the screen. Leaving the drain plug out, pour some fresh fluid through the case and see what comes out. If it's clean, fill and replace the screen and filter.

Fire it up and gently drive it around a bit to see the noise level and operation. If it's good, it's good. (which I think it will be) Maybe do another fluid change in a short while (10 hours?) and check the screen again for any big chunks.

You probably broke the fuel line or filter(s) which are close to the MMM shaft too. Now you know to double (triple) check the MMM shaft for security. (Most all BX owners have been there...)

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #4  
My warranty on the BX 2230 is 2 years bumper to bumper, but 3 years for drive train.

I am sorry that this happened to you, but am glad you posted it. I haven't used my 2230 for mowing yet, having removed the mmm for early spring yard cleaning. Now I will know to really be careful when I attach the PTO shaft to the deck. So, if its any consolation, your bummer may have saved others, including me, from suffering the same fate.

Let us know what you find out in terms of damage done or not done.

Oh, and smart move on turning things off when you did. I am always worried that sounds I hear are not normal and I just don't know it.

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #5  
I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. One member posted a pic of a filter guard. As I recall, it was a piece of tubing just larger than the diamber of the filter. Welded to it was a flat strap that had a hole, which allowed you to bolt it to ???? on the frame. The end of the tube was open, but the sides were protected.

Wish I could find it; I'd like to put one on mine.

Sounds like maybe some protection for the fuel lines would be in order to--to protect from the MMM shaft!

ron

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #6  
I'm sorry for your troubles, and can relate to the drive shaft issue. I just put mine on for the first time this spring a couple weeks ago. I did exactly the same thing you did -
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought for sure that it was fully seated, as I hear the click and could not pulll back on the shaft)</font>

But when I looked the shaft connection was not fully seated. It took me a couple tries to get it all the way back on the drive spindle. Why would the drive shaft connector be engineered in such a way that it will click and you can't pull back on it, but it's not fully seated? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #7  
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My dealer sternly warned me about this when I bought my machine. He said he's had to replace the entire front cover of the HST along with all of the mid-PTO geartrain in more than one BX. Hearing that made me supremely paranoid about the PTO shaft being 110% securely attached. Just thinking about the driveshaft coming loose at 2200 rpm makes me cringe.

I think the other comments are sound advice. Start with a thorough visual inspection for obvious external damage. You should be able to find and fix the fuel leak this way. That's the easy part. Obviously the HST filter is toast, but check the mounting flange on the HST for damage. Pay close attention to the threaded protrusion and make sure it isn't bent. Look at the PTO stub shaft. Make sure it isn't bent and that it runs true. Also check the HST housing and cover for punctures or dents. If it all checks out, pour in some fluid and start checking for signs of internal damage from there.

You absolutely did the right thing by shutting it down right away. You might have gotten lucky and only killed the filter. But, what's done is done and it is what it is. No sense in letting it keep you up at night. The only thing you can do now is diagnose the problem and hope the repair bill isn't too bad. The good news is that the damage, however severe, CAN be repaired. Your Kub may have taken one on the chin but it'll be back in the ring again soon!

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #8  
The shaft flying off BX tractors is not an uncommon problem. It happened to me a couple of years ago. Here is a thread that tells the sad story.

John

Yoke problem

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #9  
bota put her back with new parts. Your HST will live, whats scary is the fact you checked your coupling and it had snapped into place over the output shaft detent. You even tested it with hand pressure. SCARY /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif You mentioned blade balance so I'll offer a suggestion above your current
problem. I purchased the attached sharpner/balancer http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag9000/index.html. It works and is worth the investment. Let me know if I can help, what a shame this had to happen to you /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ BX2200 Chewed itself up, scared to death #10  
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has done this! I was shocked at the price of a replacement shaft. If you've ever been around hot rodders you may notice once in a while someone will put a thin metal strap attached securely to the car but very loosely around the driveshaft. If the front U-joint fails and the shaft drops it may hang up on something in the road then rip out the entire rear axle and cause lots of damage. I'm going to put a similar strap on my Kubota's center shaft. It may give me a little time to stop the next time this happens.

Mine wasn't because of a failed coupling. Some stupid guy took off the mower deck "just for a minute", left 1/2 the shaft on the HST and forgot about it until he hooked up the tiller and started the PTO in the wrong position. Oh well, I learn more quickly when I make lots of mistakes. I will know everything about the time I'm too decrepit to do anything.

The flailing shaft ripped off the HST filter, sprayed oil everywhere, damaged threads on the HST filter connection but a filter does go on and has 1/2" of good threads near the bottom where it matters so I'm not going to do anything about the damaged threads. No real harm done. This little tractor is a darn expensive piece of lawn equipment but it is way too handy to give up! Now I'm hinting around to all that I know that a Woods backhoe attachment sure would be a nice birthday present! It exceeds the usual birthday budget by 1000 times so fat chance of that happening.

David Haile
Fort Collins, CO