3 Point Rototiller

/ 3 Point Rototiller #1  

daddywags

Tractor
Kubota L48
Who makes the best 3 point rototiller? I am looking at King Kutter, Woods , Huges and Land Pride. I need a 62" or a 72" Model. Thanks for your help!! Is chain drive or gear drive better? <font color="red"> </font>

/ 3 Point Rototiller #2  
Welcome to the Forum

Best /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What is your criteria?

How do you answer a question like that when someone asks you 'what is the best?'. Inquiring minds want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 3 Point Rototiller #3  
They need to know more information..... Do you have any rocks on your land and what size are the rocks. Also, how much tilling are you going to be doing, what size tractor you have and it might help if you hit "my Home" and edit your Personal information.

All of the tillers work and usually the most expensive one works the best /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but a cheaper one might work fine for your case.

/ 3 Point Rototiller #4  
teg
That was very well put. Good on ya!

/ 3 Point Rototiller
It will be used on an L48 Bota. By best I mean fewest problems, best made, best features. It will be used in Ohio some rocks mostly small= baseball and less in size. I don't mind paying for quality, but quality does not always= costlyest.

/ 3 Point Rototiller #6  
I had a JD tractor when I went to buy my rototiller, so I first went to the JD dealer. When looking at his tillers I noticed that many in the 6' size were made in Italy. When I looked closer, I saw a small tag that said "Maschio". So, I began researching Maschio. I found a place where I bought my "H" series 73" tiller (H185) for about half what the JD tiller was going to cost. It has worked great and has a 80 hp gear box and a #100 grade drive chain. The only problem is that I bought it in JD green and now I have a Kubota tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif They do sell them in Kubota orange as well.

/ 3 Point Rototiller #7  
I have a 48" KK, the heavy series, and love it. Makes dust from rocks, and holds up well. Used it quite a bit. You wont be dissatisified, but I dont rec the "estate" series, too light

/ 3 Point Rototiller #8  
<font color="blue"> Who makes the best 3 point rototiller? </font>

Probably Kuhn and then Howard.

/ 3 Point Rototiller #9  
I have a 48" KK, the heavy series, and love it. Makes dust from rocks, and holds up well. Used it quite a bit. You wont be dissatisified, but I dont rec the "estate" series, too light

I just got a bx25 that I love, a land pride 48" mower, land pride rear blade and a land pride auger... and a muratori rototiller................

Well everything works very good...EXCEPT.. that Muratori... what a piece of junk that is...
hooking it up was easy, lined up well, untill I had to put the PTO on... The rototiller has a spring loaded ring that must be fully engaged and while trying to hold back this ring you have to try a put it on the shaft... two hours later it was on...............

first time out 2 minutes into tilling, the shear pin went and that was while digging 2" into sandy soil... then a few minutes later, the stand came off... lost in the field forever... then the 3 nuts came off from the gear box (now remember, I have just started using this machine about 15 minutes ago). After noticing the small nuts gone, I looked at the other bolts and noticed one of the nuts and bolts for the adjustment was GONE..

I have a total of 35 minutes on this junk, and i HATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am loading it up in the pickup and hauling this hunk of junk back to the dealer........

/ 3 Point Rototiller #10  
Who makes the best 3 point rototiller? I am looking at King Kutter, Woods , Huges and Land Pride. I need a 62" or a 72" Model. Thanks for your help!! Is chain drive or gear drive better? <font color="red"> </font>

It all depends on your budget. The worlds best rototiller is the

"Northwest Rototiller"

It has 14 inch tiller tines and tills in one pass fourteen inches deep,
you can order them with bedding attachments to build raisied beds as you till.

They offer a 2 row strawberry tiller bedder or a standard tiller in that size and much, much larger models with or with out a bed building option.

The northwest folks offer used rebuilt units for sale and the Northwest tilers do come up for sale used.

The Lely folks make and excellent farm implement tiller which I think is still referred to as the" Lely Roterra"

About chain and gear drives; its a matter of preference and pocket book

The gear drives/roller chain drives on the Northwest Tiller are machined withh close tolerance high horse power gear boxes using one multiple V belt belt drive to absorb shock loads.

The design of the gear box and how the power is transmitted
with spur gears offering gear tooth to gear tooth power transmission and a chain drive offering better absorbtion of shock loads where a final drive gear set will direct more power and the oil bath lubrication system for a gear drive has a splash lubrication system where a chain drive has a dust cover and should be oiled occasionally to maintain it as well as washing the chain and sprockets with a presssure washer and degreaser to eliminate any hidden dirt.

I do not remember who has oil bath chain drive rototillers for sale in the marketplace.

About fitting ground in general:

A standard mold board plow fitted with "Weiss Mini Moldboard plow" will plow 14 inches deep and eliminate compaction and allow deeper root growth which increases yield. this was proven the the national corn growing champion Francis Childs in 2001

The mini moldboard allows you to leave more residue on the surface to add to the soils compost residue and there is no compaction of the soil as the plow share is ripping the ground behind the right side tires and eliminating that compaction in furrow.

A small 2 row moldboard plow would benefit a small tiller allowing it to break and level the ground the same day and plant it too if time allows.

my thoughts anyway

Disclaimer:

No garden Gnomes from "Travelocity" or other wise were kidnapped, held for ramsom, harrassed, poked, prodded, forced to deal with jet lag, bad camera shots, riding in hot air ballons, or other insults in the posting of this message