Balast

/ Balast #1  

richard_lee

Tractor
Kubota BX2200D
I read in my owners manual that it is benificial to stability and grip to use balast in the tyres. Experimented today with my spare set of turf tyres. Took a front one to the mechanics garage where I take my vehicles and we decided to fill it with water to see how much it weighed. I estimate that it holds approximately 30lbs. To fill it we put it on the tyre machine pressed one side of the tyre down which released it from the wheel then filled it with a hose pipe through this gap. We then inflated the tyre to seal it back on the wheel and turned it so the valve was at 12 o'clock, undid the valve and let the excess water out thus making it 75% full of water. The questions I need to ask are:

1) Do you put air in as well as water, if so what psi?

2) Do you put this liquid in the front & back tyres?

3) Have you a better method of filling the tyres?

4) Can you leave this liquid in permamently?

5) What % of anti-freeze to water do you use?

Thanks for any information!!!

Richard
:)

/ Balast #2  
Richard: Typically farmers fill the rear tires with a mixture of calcium chloride and water. The benefit is extra weight without freezing or adding rotational inertia (wheel weights can be hard on the drive train). Rear tires are usually filled to the top of the rim - so the center of gravity of the liquid mass is below the wheel center. Water will absorb several pounds of CaCl per gallon. There are special valve stems for putting the solution in - tire shops have them - and will fill tires for a fee. I think my 17.5x24 rears hold 55 gallons each - quite heavy. Front tires usually are much smaller and it's arguable whether its worth the trouble. Regarding inflation pressure, its the same as without liquid. Hope this is useful.

Someone here once posted a link to a site listing tire size and capacity - I've lost the bookmark.

/ Balast #3  
Richard Lee,

As I recall, the owners manual specifically advises <font color=red>against</font color=red> filling your front tires. There was a discussion about this a while back, and this caution may no longer be warrented when using newer products. I would ask your dealer.

Others have used antifreeze, non-toxic antifreeze, and windshield washer fluid. How much you use would depend on the severity of your winters. I don't have any experience with any of these, and am still considering whether to "fill" or not. I am leaning toward non-toxic antifreeze because it is non-corrosive. Even though it isn't as heavy as calcium chloride, it will still add a considerable amount of weight.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Balast #5  
Richard,

In your case, with the smaller front tire sizes, I would use windshield washer fluid... using your figures of using water adding about 30 lbs. translates to me a little less than 4 gallons {8 lbs./gallon}...

Windshield washer fluid over here in the states is 79 - 99 cents/gallon... so for about $8. total you could fill the tires and add about 60 lbs more ballast to your front end...

It's very cost effective, non-corrosive, clean and easy, don't need to use tubes {at an added cost}, and won't freeze... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

{to only gain a few more pounds of ballast using Calcium Chloride and tubes wouldn't appear to be the smart way of going in this case}

Good luck Richard...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Balast #6  
1) Yes, and run the same pressure as you would run with air only.

2) Some folks do; most don't; manual recommends against.

3) Yes, you can buy an air/water adapter at Tractor Supply Co., some tractor dealers, some tire dealers, etc. for less than $10.

4) Yes

5) Depends on how cold it gets; there's usually a chart on anti-freeze containers showing what percentage will protect to what temperature.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Balast #7  
Bird--- Need your help. I can't find the air/water adapter at Tractor Supply Co. Any help? I would like to buy one so I can fill my tires. It looks easy and would work great.

Thanks
Mike

xxx.gif

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by burnickas on 11/08/01 08:33 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Balast #8  
Darn it, Mike, I just saw one at Tractor Supply awhile back, and it was in my old catalog, but now I can't find it in the 2001 catalog myself, and I really dislike what they've done with their web site. I'll let you know when I find it.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Balast #9  
They have a good site but trying to find things is VERY hard. It has been a long day and the last thing I want to do it search through 150+ items! I would love to get this part so I can fill the tires. I hope one of us finds it. You know better then me.......

Keep me informed.

***On a side note they have Power Service additive....cool
Also sorry about the spelling i got excited about the valve and can't find it :(

Thanks
Mike

xxx.gif

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by burnickas on 11/08/01 08:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Balast #10  
Here is another one for all you guys---If you have a 4x4 tractor why do you need ballast? Only for safety or other reasons (like reducing bearings stress, pressure on front end etc). I know two people that have 4x4 tractors that say you don’t need it. I disagree. Comments, suggestions, observations….

Thanks
Mike

xxx.gif