Oil & Fuel BX2200 water in fuel comment

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #1  

ScottGilfordNH

Tractor
BX2200
New to group and forgot to attach schematic on original post. I have a BX2200 I bought used (155 hours-now at 385hours). Water has shut me down each time it rained and the tractor got wet. I drained the filters and part of the tank each time it rained. The stock filters can not handle water separation. I found the culprit to be the fuel tank sender unit on the left wheel well(when you are sitting on the tractor). I would not be surprised if you are leaking fuel from this location when you top off the tank. There are a lot of pieces that come off the tractor to get at the tank, but it is not really that hard. The fuel sender sits in a recess on the top of the tank. Water collects in the recess that the fuel sendor unit sits and leaks past the rubber bushing that is suppose to seal the sendor unit. Gravity holds it in place and over time, the seal fails. This is a poor mounting design! Kubota sells a replacement kit and not just the seal (rubber bushing). I also purchased a new tank because I had a main tank leak. I noticed the tank pn has changed. The parts alone cost over $220 for this repair. I don't know if the stock tank will accept the fuel sendor replacement kit. I am not going to all this work and still risking a leaking tank. For the future, I installed a DAHL 75 filter water seperator and mounted ont he bucket loader frame on the left side. This is a superior filter to what Kubota offers. I have photos/schematics that better explain this.

I did speak to my parts guy (Ronnie at tractorsmart.com) and the earlier model BX2200 I have was upgraded (TSB). The Bush Sensor Fuel PN K2561-61390 has been superceded by Kit Fuel Sensor pn K2561-96140. The new mounting design allows a compressive load to be put on the gasket and increases the friction fit as it expands against the tank opening. The kit has bolts that drive in real hard that get tightened up to in crease the seal of the rubber bushing. The kit will fit the original tank I am told. The oringinal tank was upgraded and reinforced from PN K2561-54710 to K2561-54700.
Scott

Attachments

• 874051-senderunit.JPG
    874051-senderunit.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 794
   / BX2200 water in fuel comment #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kubota sells a replacement kit and not just the seal (rubber bushing). I also purchased a new tank because I had a main tank leak. I noticed the tank pn has changed. )</font>

Yes, many of us with BX2200 similar issues. Dealers were correcting them under warrantee for the most part. Of course, that doesn't help you much since it's long expired. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Too bad the origional owner didn't read this forum he (or she) would have known to get that looked at.

Well welcome to the forum! You will enjoy it here as there is TONS of information from others of us who own the BX series tractors. If you have something going on with yours chances are it happened to someone else here too! And you will get a real good indication on what these little tractors are really capable of! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #3  
I have a recurring nightmare with water in fuel. I use a "Mr. Funnel" for two seasons now and still the engine bogs down when mowing after 20 minutes or so. Are you saying that water could possibly enter past the gasket? (I've never noticed a fuel leak however).
In any event I'd love to see the fix you came up with (water seperator). I'm keeping the OEM filter manufacturer in business as I change both on my BX2200 sometimes twice a month in mowing season.
Thanks,
Dave

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #4  
I think you will find if you just shake the water out, you can re-use the filter. It appears the filter, as mentioned, is not good at separating water, it just shuts off all fuel flow when it has water in it. I shake the water out & put it back on.

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #5  
I started this thread about fuel conditioning systems a while back.

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment
Dave,
I know for sure that water leaked past the fuel sender unit on my BX2200. The retrofit kit really puts a high compressive load on the gasket stopping water from entering the the tank. The original sender unit just rested in place under its own weight.

I never was able to just shake the water out of the filter. I would loose power just like you at 20 minutes into a job. One problem with sustained water in the tank is the anaerobic bacteria that can can grow and build a slime on the filters. I know Marine diesels have this problem.

I'll post some info on the DAHL filter once I find my digital camera.

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #7  
So if I order the kit how can I tell I'm getting the new "improved" version and not an OEM version of the original "leaky" one. Is there a new part #? This problem has made mowing the lawn a real downer for me. I always enjoyed mowing with the BX before this started and now I find myself dreading the filter changes.
Thanks all for the info. I'm hoping you find your camera soon.
Dave

Hmmm..I reread your original post. I see the part #'s there. Thanks Scott.

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #8  
The new kit has bolt clamps and you will see the difference. The original has regular bolts and the unit will pop out with a screw driver.

The kit mentioned in this thread will come with instructions. I just bought the kit from the local dealer and took roughly 2 hours to put on, once I figured it out. Fairly simple to do (of course I can say that after I replaced mine). Mine never had a problem until this week but I never filled the tank to the top. Kit cost $19.00. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #9  
The new kit has bolt clamps and you will see the difference. The original has regular bolts and the unit will pop out with a screw driver.

The kit mentioned in this thread will come with instructions. I just bought the kit from the local dealer and took roughly 2 hours to put on, once I figured it out. Fairly simple to do (of course I can say that after I replaced mine). Mine never had a problem until this week but I never filled the tank to the top. Kit cost $19.00. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ BX2200 water in fuel comment #10  
The new part # is K21561-96140. I am going to try to attach a photo of the bottom of the new version from the installation instructions for you. This photo show the fuel sensor in the mount, from the inside of the tank, but it gives you an idea what to look for.

I just done this repair myself last week.

Attachments

• 886385-new fuel sensor stay.jpg
    886385-new fuel sensor stay.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 325