Running BX MMM in TOP position OK?

/ Running BX MMM in TOP position OK? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
HI,

I know this has been discussed in the past, and the consensus seemed to be that cutting with the MMM in the top position is not of any concern, other than possibly having debris thrown out since the deck is pretty high off the ground.

The reason I ask is that I have about an acre and a half on the back hill that used to be woods, but now is more green than brown (I clearad a lot of brush and spread some grass seed a year or two ago). I've been busy this spring and did not get around to cleaning up the dead branches that have fallen over winter. So today I cut what is growing there with the BX MMM in the top position.

I don't see any issue in doing this, as far as the tractor goes. Actually, there is less angle to the mower driveshaft when the deck is raised.

Thought I would ask here just to make sure I am not missing something obvious. What I did was raise the mower, set the height knob to top, then lower the mower to rest at the top position and cut like that for an hour or a bit more.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: Man, I don't know how I posted this here rather than in Kubota Owning/operating where I intended to... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Running BX MMM in TOP position OK? #2  
I do it in places for the same purpose as you - when I am not sure what is in the grass. Since my b1750 does not have an adjusting know for the MMM I just leave it hanging from the 3pt. Didnt have any problems with it - but this is my first season with a big tractor.

/ Running BX MMM in TOP position OK? #3  
Henro - I have been mowing eight acres of pasture and meadow for three years with my B7500 and MMM in the transport position. I mow four to six times per year. No apparent damage, but I still worry about it. I pin the MMM up in the transport position. Continued good luck to all of us, who are mowing this way!!! Rusty /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Running BX MMM in TOP position OK? #4  
Hi Henro,

Good to see you back after that long hiatus. I have a long wet winter. The tall fescue gets way up there before the turf is dry enough to make the first springtime cut. Around March I usually sharpen the blades and take the BX into grass that's around a foot tall. The deck does fine in the full up position. I do try not to let it bounce around any. I probably wouldn't take it into the rough like that as I think the potential is there to torque the lift rods if I ran one side up onto a berm. And besides, I have a HD 42" GearMore brush hog for that. After the first cut, I take it down a little bit at a time with multiple passes. I have the mulch kit which works better for me than the bagger did. Have you talked to Junkman lately? (Hope they don't kick me off for asking that.)

/ Running BX MMM in TOP position OK?
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I could not imagine harming my MMM on the BX running in the TOP position, but...just in case I was missing something I thought I would ask the question.

Junkman? Havn't communicated with him for a while...I think he faded away while I was busy and not here much the last six months or so...or did he go out with a bang? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hope he appears back sometime...