Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series

I was looking at the GrandL series catalog today. I noticed that all of the GrandL series, from L3130 to the top of the line L5030 all have draft control as an option. Now, I am curious as to why draft control is an option on all the GrandL series? I thought draft control was used for ground engaging implements like a 2 bottom plow. Can a 32 HP tractor pull a ground engaging implement like a bottom plow? I thought bottom plows took a lot of power. Is 32 HP enough power???
Bob

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series #3  
Yes, 32HP is enough, Doc Bob, but a few other factors have to be right as well. The weight has to be there and so do R1 tires and good gearing.

As I recall the old JD40 with a 100 cu. in. 2 cylinder gas engine of around 25HP was rated at 2-14s. It didn't pull 'em very fast though. The small Fords would handle a 2-bottom plow as well. My 3 cylinder Ford 2000 does a fair job with 2 bottoms. It's biggest problem is lack of weight on the rear tires and a low gear that's a bit fast....its 35HP is plenty, however. I think with good gearing and filled rears, an 8N or 2N would do OK as well. Keep in mind, these are all 2WD tractors.

A Grand L, regardless of HP, has the weight (especially with the rear tires filled) and the gearing. Should be able to handle 2 bottoms with ease. I'd expect the L4330s and above to be capable of 3 bottoms. 15HP per bottom is a conservative rule of thumb...if everthing else is right. A B3030 wouldn't be a good choice, however.
Bob

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, it depends... try this site for details. )</font>

Nice chart. I am struggling with understanding it and applying it. Any help???
Bob

I tried a sample calculation.

Moldboard
4.5 mph x 2.1 x 800 / 375=20.16 HP for PTO.

So, one bottom plow would take 20 PTO HP?
Bob

PS Why is sandy soil 2.1 and form soil 1.5? I woulld have thought it would have been the other way around?

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series #6  
I have a Kubota L3430 and a King Kutter Two Bottom 14" Plow. I can pull it no problem in low range, four wheel drive at about 3 - 4 mph.

ksmmoto

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a Kubota L3430 and a King Kutter Two Bottom 14" Plow. I can pull it no problem in low range, four wheel drive at about 3 - 4 mph.

ksmmoto )</font>

Nice to hear from someone who is actaully using it! Do you have draft control?
Bob

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series #8  
No, I don't have draft control. I haven't plowed a very large area yet, so I'm not sure if it is really needed.

In fact, I believe having HST will help with the plowing as I can letup slightly if the plow hits a hard spot and the tractor will keep pulling strong.

I know most people will say that gear is best for field work and they may well be right for large fields. But I may only do three acres at the most at one time.

ksmmoto

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a Kubota L3430 and a King Kutter Two Bottom 14" Plow. I can pull it no problem in low range, four wheel drive at about 3 - 4 mph.

ksmmoto )</font>

What kind of soil? Virgin? Sand? Clay?
Bob

/ Draft Control on Kubota GrandL series #10  
I have been pulling a 2 bt plow with a 45 hp tractor and it has to work but I am plowing ground that hasn't been turned over in 25 years and the sod is thick and heavy. I think soil conditions mean a lot and also how you have the plow set up. My tractor has draft control as a standard feature and that's one of the reasons I bought it.