Finished 50 hour service...

/ Finished 50 hour service... #1  

pjwbx2230

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx2230
didn't realize it referred not only to the hour meter but to the amount of time it would take as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, had to remove rear bagger and got everything done in about four and a half hours, but got bogged down getting MMM back on (trying to get drive shaft on PTO when tired, cranky, sore, and generally irritable, is not fun). Quit and went back at it this morning- mmm and rear bagger instalkled in about 45 minutes. Total elapsed time- about 5.25 (one hour of which was waiting for the Super UDT to drain into the transmission through my little tranny fluid funnel). Got to be a better way to speed up that process. Glad its done and managed to do it myself- though my back, legs and hands are SORE!!! I am getting old and out of shape.

/ Finished 50 hour service...
Also want to thank all of you who assisted me and talked me through the angst of preparoing for what, for me, was a semi-major undertaking. Got through it and am pleasantly surprised that I was able to do it with ralatively little trouble- still sore, though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Perils of getting older.

/ Finished 50 hour service... #3  
I am glad people post about real world experiences doing their own maintenance. Even if it took half that time, I am not at all sure its worth it to do it myself, and given my lack of experience, I can see it taking me that long too--total bummer if you ask me.

I know others may balk at this, but if the price is not too bad, I may just have my dealer do it. I talked to him yesterday, and he said, in addition to the oil and stuff, it would only be about 1 hour of labor charges, plus a $50 pickup and delivery charge (I don't have a trailer and don't plan to buy one and the dealer is 40 miles round trip). I may change my mind depending on the anticipated cost (he's calling me tomorrow with it). He mentioned that one thing nice about having them do it is that they don't just do what's called for in the manual, they check a whole bunch of stuff, tighten bolts, etc. I am kind of a do it yourself guy, but I know nothing about tractors, and this is a big investment. We'll see.

Monkey,
Seems that most get it done in about four hours. Had the additional issue of getting the rear bagger off and on again. Addes a little bit of time. Overall was not an unpleasant experience- just slightly tedious. I've seen some outrageous quotes on here for fifty hour maintenance. The torque on the wheel lugs is part of the fifty hour maintenance. I also did extras and greased everything up that had a zerk. Overall, it was a satisfying effort. Am a lawyer by trade and can honestly say that, most days, cannot see what I have actually
accomplished. Finishing this project was satisfying- if a bit tedious.

/ Finished 50 hour service... #5  
Pj,

Next service is at 300 hours, by then you will forget about all the fun u had and getting to know your tractor so well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The 2nd time goes much faster...lol.

Tom,
thanks for the helpful advice! Really appreciate it- need reassurance when wading into unknown waters. Oh, yeah, and.... Go Sox!!!!

/ Finished 50 hour service... #7  
I did mine myself. I'm 50+ miles from the dealer and the parts and fluids were bad enough without renting a trailer and paying for labor.

I have an L4400 and I'd say it took me less than two hours. The hardest part for me was managing the waste fluids. The tractor holds over 10 gallons of UDT so the standard oil catcher for a car was too small and the L4400 was not quite tall enough to slide a 5 gallon bucket under. I ended up using a large galvanized wash tub. But when it was full, it was too big and too heavy to pick up and pour the fluid into the empty UDT buckets. So, I dipped it out with smaller bucket. PITB.

Changing filters was easy enough but I'd left my filter wrench at home. Fortunately I did my service in my B-I-L's shop and he had several.

Getting fluid into the tranny is a bit awkward and requires a long necked funnel which makes it slow. Someone in another post mentioned using some 1/4" tubing.

Tip: For those who don't know (and I didn't), when pouring from a 5 gallon bucket, you position the little spout on top. If you put it on the bottom, next to the funnel it glops and slops all over the place. Fortunately my B-I-L clued me in on this before I made a mess because positioning the spout up is not intuitive.

I was also glad he was there since I had no idea how to open the little spout on the 5 gallon UDT buckets. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The final issue with the L4400 is the front axle drain holes which are down at the bottom of the bevel gears on each side. I made a mess with these. I think the only way to do it neatly would be to jack up the front (FEL will do) remove the wheels/ tires and put a large pan underneath _each_ one since you have rock the axle assembly up and down to get all the old fluid out.

Next time I'll definitely get it done more quickly and with less mess. But it really is not a difficult job.

Remember to bleed the fuel system if you change the fuel filter.

/ Finished 50 hour service... #8  
I felt the same way when given my original cost for a 50 hour. Then added the cost of delivery. It was over $300. I find that to be a bit steep for simple maintenance.

If you have changed the oil in your car, then you can do this. Now that I've done it, I have a more intimate understanding of my tractor and its components. Before doing the maintenance, I was afraid of what I didn't know.

Its a great feeling the first time you use it after performing the work. I won't be afraid at the 300 hour interval.

Let us know what you end up doing.

/ Finished 50 hour service... #9  
I think for most folks it just boils down to how much you value your own time. Maybe I'm just not very well organized but I've got so much to take care of already I really don't have the spare time to do my own 50 hour service. My dealer gave me quotes of $200 for the BX23 and $375 for the 3830 using SUDT in both. This dealer is only 10 minutes from me and I have my own trailers so I'm sure I'll be having them do it.

/ Finished 50 hour service... #10  
Yes everyone is different.
Reason i do it myself is, one save a little money, since if i did not do some of the maintance/repairs myself I may not be able to afford to own a tractor. Two, one of the reason i have the tractor is its my way of relaxing, wether i am working with the tractor or repairing/maintaining the tractor, its all fun to me. An i know my limits so will take to dealer if cnnot handle.
So the whole thing on the maintance is what you like to do or feel capble of.