BX 2230 implement for compost pile?

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #1  

proudestmonkey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
Now that I have a BX 2230 w/FEL, I have a quickly growing compost pile (about the equivalent of six FEL bucket fulls). I imagine by summer's end, it will be closer to 8 to 10. The FEL is obviously great for getting dirt and various vegetation to the pile, but seems cumbersome for churning it. Should I be thinking tooth bar? some kind of hay implement? Any ideas?

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #2  
I had good luck turning my compost pile(s) w/just the FEL. I have the pile set out enough to where I can get at it from all sides. Takes a max of 5 minutes to completely turn it and I turn it once a week. I also continually add fresh clippings throughout the season and shredded leaves come the fall. Matter of fact I add whatever the BX23 & cyclone rake picks up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It does so well that last yrs clippings is this yrs compost.

A toothbar would probably get more turned at a a time but if your not careful you'll be digging a hole for your pile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've often thought a set of forks would do pretty good also.

Volfandt

Attachments

• 881032-New Compost pile.jpg_0007.jpg
    881032-New Compost pile.jpg_0007.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 222
   / BX 2230 implement for compost pile?
Thanks for the response Vol. Unfortunately, my property has very little flat areas, and those areas are devoted to the house, patio, courtyard, and flower gardens. I put my compost pile behind the house in an area which is relatively flat on two sides, but buts up against a hill on two sides--kind of in a corner. This means that I cannot "roll" the pile, but need to get in there, and "tumble" it in place. Your point about the tooth bar is a good one. I'll have to think about that. I was thinking in terms of a pitchfork sort of implement that I could stick on the front or probably better, on the back.

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #4  
I've used my home made pallet forks to turn a compost pile. Mount them about 1' apart. Run them into the bottom of the pile and raise them up with the FEL.

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now that I have a BX 2230 w/FEL, I have a quickly growing compost pile (about the equivalent of six FEL bucket fulls). I imagine by summer's end, it will be closer to 8 to 10. The FEL is obviously great for getting dirt and various vegetation to the pile, but seems cumbersome for churning it. Should I be thinking tooth bar? some kind of hay implement? Any ideas? )</font>

I don't want to hijack your thread, but are you overwhelmingly happy with your BX or do you wish you would have went bigger. Specifically the FEL capacity (volume/weight)?

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #6  
I have three compost piles, a starter pile, an intermediate pile, and a finished pile. I turn the piles with just my fel, and have had great luck! I try to get as much of the outside of the pile as I can first, and then pile the inner stuff on top. It composts very quickly that way. It does take some space to rotate piles in that manner, and I'm fortunate enough to have that. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #7  
p-monkey: I do pretty much the same thing as ChuckinNH - - I start a new compost pile [from the horse stall] every 6 months, July 1 & January 1. I often have 2 or 3 around at any one time. I turn them with my fel every few weeks. I learned early on to start the piles only where there is room on each side to get to it with the fel. Works for me with just the fel - - it actually works better without the toothbar attached.
Jack

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #8  
I use the same method as Volfandt with pretty good results.
Since you seem to be "fenced in" by the hillside, maybe you could put your bucket over the pile and backdrag it out, and then mix it as you repile it?
As for the implement, I think I recall seeing manure forks in a Massey Ferguson FEL brochure a while back, but have no idea of the price. You might try a google search and see what you can come up with. I've tried my pallet forks and it stirs the pile up some, but doesn't really mix it as well as stirring and repiling with the bucket for me.
edited: Couldn't find anything in the MF brochures on line, but here is a link that will show what I'm talking about.

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile?
Thanks. That addition is kind of what I was thinking, but is more heavy duty (and more expensive) than I was hoping to find. I wish I knew how to weld stuff and had a welder, it might be kind of fun making something of my own.

After listening to everyone, I will try with just the FEL. If that doesn't work, I am going to look for a new location for the pile. There are some flatter areas that are currently partially wooded, so not enough sun for a good compost pile. But, I have been slowly thinning out the buckthorn over there and as I do so, it seems there might be areas with enough sun. I like the idea of being able to just roll it back and forth, and then take out the good stuff for gardening.

Thanks everyone for your helpful thoughts. This is a great resource.

/ BX 2230 implement for compost pile? #10  
Hopefully!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Here is a link to some forks a fellow TBNer made.. Hmmm how do you create a link to another thread? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
In the Build-it-yourself forum, HomeBrew2 made a very good set of "brush forks" for his BX... The post was on 8/29/05