That overrunning clutch on the L3400 freaks me out

/ That overrunning clutch on the L3400 freaks me out #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I've only just started using the PTO on my L3400 and I have to say that the overrunning clutch really freaks me out.

I drop my rpms to about 1.5k before I clutch and disengage the PTO, and I find that when I do that I hear rachetting from some where before I depress the clutch. This is what the tech guy from Kubota suggested I do.

I'm wondering if the pre clutching rachetting I am hearing is because I am dropping the RPMs too quickly and the momentum on the PTO shaft keeps it going?

Regardless, I only clutch for long enough for the ratchetting to kick in and then disengage the PTO. Does this sound right? I hate the horrible noise - makes it sound like something really bad is wrong !

/ That overrunning clutch on the L3400 freaks me out
I've only just started using the PTO on my L3400 and I have to say that the overrunning clutch really freaks me out.

I drop my rpms to about 1.5k before I clutch and disengage the PTO, and I find that when I do that I hear rachetting from some where before I depress the clutch. This is what the tech guy from Kubota suggested I do.

I'm wondering if the pre clutching rachetting I am hearing is because I am dropping the RPMs too quickly and the momentum on the PTO shaft keeps it going?

Regardless, I only clutch for long enough for the ratchetting to kick in and then disengage the PTO. Does this sound right? I hate the horrible noise - makes it sound like something really bad is wrong !

/ That overrunning clutch on the L3400 freaks me out #3  
Just move the engagment handle to the off position without using the clutch to disengage the PTO.

/ That overrunning clutch on the L3400 freaks me out #4  
Just move the engagment handle to the off position without using the clutch to disengage the PTO.