L2900 GST Problem

/ L2900 GST Problem #1  

mindslip

I recently purchased a mid 90's L2900 GST with 560 hours. The tractor is in pretty good shape overall but I have an issue with the glide shift. Only gears 1-4 work and it appears that I'm stuck in high range. In other words, speeds 1-4 are actually 5-8. Probably a related problem, but I cannot shuttle shift from neutral to forward or reverse without clutching.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I turn this one over to the dealer for repair?

Thanks in advance, Gordon

/ L2900 GST Problem
I recently purchased a mid 90's L2900 GST with 560 hours. The tractor is in pretty good shape overall but I have an issue with the glide shift. Only gears 1-4 work and it appears that I'm stuck in high range. In other words, speeds 1-4 are actually 5-8. Probably a related problem, but I cannot shuttle shift from neutral to forward or reverse without clutching.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I turn this one over to the dealer for repair?

Thanks in advance, Gordon

/ L2900 GST Problem #3  
Have you checked the trans fluid level???
Changed the filter?
Does it have a loader, or did it have one and it was removed?
Sounds to me like it is lacking fluid.

/ L2900 GST Problem #4  
Have you checked the trans fluid level???
Changed the filter?
Does it have a loader, or did it have one and it was removed?
Sounds to me like it is lacking fluid.

/ L2900 GST Problem
Fluid level is okay. It has a loader and the loader and 3pt seem to work okay. I just changed the filter and fixed a slow leak around the sight glass so I'll top off the fluid and try it again tomorrow. A full fluid changes takes almost 11 gallons of UDT so I'm putting that off until I talk to the dealer.

Thanks for the reply. If the new filter fixes the gst probem I'll let you know.

/ L2900 GST Problem
Fluid level is okay. It has a loader and the loader and 3pt seem to work okay. I just changed the filter and fixed a slow leak around the sight glass so I'll top off the fluid and try it again tomorrow. A full fluid changes takes almost 11 gallons of UDT so I'm putting that off until I talk to the dealer.

Thanks for the reply. If the new filter fixes the gst probem I'll let you know.

/ L2900 GST Problem #7  
Help! I have the same problem. 1-4 acts like 5-8, 5-8 does nothing.

/ L2900 GST Problem #8  
Help! I have the same problem. 1-4 acts like 5-8, 5-8 does nothing.

Fixed!

What happened: Tractor came to me after the owner spent 4500 at the dealer and was told it would be another 4000 to try and fix it. When it arrived, it was stuck in one high gear, but would still move with the shuttle and main clutch. After mutch troubleshooting, found hydraulic regulating valve stuck. Fixed that and then during the first trial, it only had gears 5-8 in the 1-4 position. Pull the gst valve again and I found I had misaligned the hi lo shift pin. Put it back on and then had gears 5-8 in the correct spot. 1-4 did nothing but maybe lurch a little. Ok, pull the gst valve again, the hi lo shifter would not fully engage the lo gears, everything else was fine. Had to pull the mid pto housing to get my scope in to see the gears, now I can see that the gear is not getting past the synchronizer into lo. Go deeper with the scope and see what looks like a large dowel jammed up in the corner and mashed into the gears. I was able to finally bend and pull and pry the thing out. A 4 inch long1/2" id clear tube(quite yellowed and brittle). Now everything works again .

/ L2900 GST Problem #9  
Fixed!

What happened: Tractor came to me after the owner spent 4500 at the dealer ..... Go in with the scope and see.....a..dowel jammed.. into the gears... a...1/2" id clear tube (quite yellowed and brittle)...
Sorta like that commercial where a surgeon's phone is ringing - but from inside yesterday's patient.

/ L2900 GST Problem #10  
Sorta like that commercial where a surgeon's phone is ringing - but from inside yesterday's patient.

The hose probably fell in there when one of the previous owners attempted to fill the transmission with a funnel/hose setup. So it's more like a butt chugging gone wrong.