Trailering your BX

/ Trailering your BX #1  

DickS

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 265, Kubota BX24
What is the conventional wisdom on trailer size for moving the BX around? What would you use for length and width? Is 5,000# GVW the right size or should I spend the extra bucks to go to a 7,000#? I noticed in the owner's manual the hoe should be on the trailer bed when trailering. Is this really necessary?

/ Trailering your BX
What is the conventional wisdom on trailer size for moving the BX around? What would you use for length and width? Is 5,000# GVW the right size or should I spend the extra bucks to go to a 7,000#? I noticed in the owner's manual the hoe should be on the trailer bed when trailering. Is this really necessary?

/ Trailering your BX #3  
Just took delivery of my new BX24 on Saturday. The guy that delivered it had it on a 3000lb 6'x10' trailer. The bucket was hanging off the back a little. I would recommend at least a 6'x12' 3000lb trailer. I believe the total weight of the BX24 is around 3000lb.

-Walt

/ Trailering your BX #4  
Just took delivery of my new BX24 on Saturday. The guy that delivered it had it on a 3000lb 6'x10' trailer. The bucket was hanging off the back a little. I would recommend at least a 6'x12' 3000lb trailer. I believe the total weight of the BX24 is around 3000lb.

-Walt

/ Trailering your BX #5  
12' is going to be pretty tight, although you can swing the hoe to the side and make it work. I think the 3000# GVW also includes trailer weight, so you'd be pushing it to be legal.

I've used a 16' trailer a couple times and liked having the extra room for tools and materials.

There are hundreds of opinions already documented on this board on trailering. You're bound to get a bunch more.

/ Trailering your BX #6  
12' is going to be pretty tight, although you can swing the hoe to the side and make it work. I think the 3000# GVW also includes trailer weight, so you'd be pushing it to be legal.

I've used a 16' trailer a couple times and liked having the extra room for tools and materials.

There are hundreds of opinions already documented on this board on trailering. You're bound to get a bunch more.

/ Trailering your BX #7  
Do a search on this site for trailering. This has been discussed at length, with lots of good information being shared about trailer length, wieght, tow vehicle considerations, trailer brakes, chaining down the tractor and more.

To get a better idea what you need, supply more info too; which BX, what attachments, how long is it with those attachments, how much do they weigh, what will you tow with ect. The more information you have, the easier it is to narrow the search.

I personally like my 16' flatbed 7000lb trailer. My B8200 is a bit bigger than your BX. I have found it hauls my 2500lb tractor easily, has room front and back for load balancing. It also works well for lots of other stuff. I have hauled Cub Scouts in parades, cars, other tractors, 16' and 20' pipe and lumber, firewood, concrete retaining wall blocks and more. It is amazing how many uses there are for a trialer /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Trailering your BX #8  
Do a search on this site for trailering. This has been discussed at length, with lots of good information being shared about trailer length, wieght, tow vehicle considerations, trailer brakes, chaining down the tractor and more.

To get a better idea what you need, supply more info too; which BX, what attachments, how long is it with those attachments, how much do they weigh, what will you tow with ect. The more information you have, the easier it is to narrow the search.

I personally like my 16' flatbed 7000lb trailer. My B8200 is a bit bigger than your BX. I have found it hauls my 2500lb tractor easily, has room front and back for load balancing. It also works well for lots of other stuff. I have hauled Cub Scouts in parades, cars, other tractors, 16' and 20' pipe and lumber, firewood, concrete retaining wall blocks and more. It is amazing how many uses there are for a trialer /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Trailering your BX #9  
DickS,

Measure the tractor from loader blade to the back edge of the hoe, with it on the ground. That is your minimum length.

The stated capacity for trailers includes the weight of the trailer and everything on it. Trailers are pretty heavy and a 14' with 5000# capacity may weight in at 1600-1800#. That leaves a touch over 3000 for tractor load and would a bare minimum.

Funny thing about tractors. They attract work and heavy things like logs, construction materials, landscaping stuff, blocks, etc. The incremental cost going from a 14' with 5000# to a 16' with 7000# is not much. Only you know what your uses will be. Me, I am thinking about a larger trailer and wish I had spent a few $$ more for the extra 2' and 2000#. (sigh)

jb

/ Trailering your BX #10  
DickS,

Measure the tractor from loader blade to the back edge of the hoe, with it on the ground. That is your minimum length.

The stated capacity for trailers includes the weight of the trailer and everything on it. Trailers are pretty heavy and a 14' with 5000# capacity may weight in at 1600-1800#. That leaves a touch over 3000 for tractor load and would a bare minimum.

Funny thing about tractors. They attract work and heavy things like logs, construction materials, landscaping stuff, blocks, etc. The incremental cost going from a 14' with 5000# to a 16' with 7000# is not much. Only you know what your uses will be. Me, I am thinking about a larger trailer and wish I had spent a few $$ more for the extra 2' and 2000#. (sigh)

jb