Chain Saw Question

/ Chain Saw Question #1  

proudestmonkey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
Okay, this might be removed, but I didn't know where else to post this question, and besides this is the biggest forum here by far (and the one I frequent the most), so here goes.

I recently bought a Stihl Chain Saw to replace my Poulan. I was hoping for a chain saw that would start easily the second time around (after running out of gas, etc.). The new saw is great in those terms.

Here's the problem, I've had the saw now for two weeks. I've used it for probably a total of 8 hours. I just toasted my third chain. After about an hour or so, each time using it, the chaing pops off the bar. I keep pretty close check on the tension, and re-tension the chain every 15 minutes to half an hour. No big deal. But sort of randomly, if the chain gets pinched in the tree (small trees mostly), and there is even the slightest give in the chain, it snaps off the bar. No big deal. That used to happen once in a while with the Poulan. Problem is, each time it does that, the chain seems to get bent, so I can't re-fit it into the bar. I thought at first it was the bar, so I went and bought a new one. Wasn't the bar. None of my old chains could fit in the new bar. Bought a new chain, fit in the bar fine.

Anyway, I am frustrated. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a sign of a bad design (I wonder if the convenience of a no-tools tensioner means that the chain slips off the bar or sprocket more easily.

Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Chain Saw Question
Okay, this might be removed, but I didn't know where else to post this question, and besides this is the biggest forum here by far (and the one I frequent the most), so here goes.

I recently bought a Stihl Chain Saw to replace my Poulan. I was hoping for a chain saw that would start easily the second time around (after running out of gas, etc.). The new saw is great in those terms.

Here's the problem, I've had the saw now for two weeks. I've used it for probably a total of 8 hours. I just toasted my third chain. After about an hour or so, each time using it, the chaing pops off the bar. I keep pretty close check on the tension, and re-tension the chain every 15 minutes to half an hour. No big deal. But sort of randomly, if the chain gets pinched in the tree (small trees mostly), and there is even the slightest give in the chain, it snaps off the bar. No big deal. That used to happen once in a while with the Poulan. Problem is, each time it does that, the chain seems to get bent, so I can't re-fit it into the bar. I thought at first it was the bar, so I went and bought a new one. Wasn't the bar. None of my old chains could fit in the new bar. Bought a new chain, fit in the bar fine.

Anyway, I am frustrated. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a sign of a bad design (I wonder if the convenience of a no-tools tensioner means that the chain slips off the bar or sprocket more easily.

Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Chain Saw Question #5  
Here are a few suggestions for getting good results from your saw.

1. Make sure the chain oiler is working. The oil keeps the chain lubricated and cool. More oil is better than less oil. Oil is cheaper than a new bar and chain.

2. Stay out of the dirt. Nothing ruins a chain faster than letting the bar and chain touch the ground.

3. Don't let the bar and chain get pinched by the logs or limbs you are cutting. Be extra careful when cutting limbs that are above your head. Cutting small limbs that twist as they are cut is a good way to run the chain off of the bar.

4. Keep the chain sharp. I have learned how to sharpen them myself. Very easy and fast if you have a good file guide. Keep a couple of extra files on hand. They wear out and make the job much harder than necessary.

5. Use the recommended oil to gas ratio in the fuel.

I hope some of these tips will help you. They apply to all brands. Good luck.

/ Chain Saw Question #6  
Here are a few suggestions for getting good results from your saw.

1. Make sure the chain oiler is working. The oil keeps the chain lubricated and cool. More oil is better than less oil. Oil is cheaper than a new bar and chain.

2. Stay out of the dirt. Nothing ruins a chain faster than letting the bar and chain touch the ground.

3. Don't let the bar and chain get pinched by the logs or limbs you are cutting. Be extra careful when cutting limbs that are above your head. Cutting small limbs that twist as they are cut is a good way to run the chain off of the bar.

4. Keep the chain sharp. I have learned how to sharpen them myself. Very easy and fast if you have a good file guide. Keep a couple of extra files on hand. They wear out and make the job much harder than necessary.

5. Use the recommended oil to gas ratio in the fuel.

I hope some of these tips will help you. They apply to all brands. Good luck.

/ Chain Saw Question #7  
Is oil getting to the bar?
Are the chains and bar sized for each other as far as groove size and chain drive link size?
Is the sprocket the right size for the chain?

/ Chain Saw Question #8  
Is oil getting to the bar?
Are the chains and bar sized for each other as far as groove size and chain drive link size?
Is the sprocket the right size for the chain?

/ Chain Saw Question
To answer both posts, yes, there is plenty of oil getting to the chain and bar. The good news is that I run out of gas just before running out of oil. I have only run out of gas once (today) and have never run out of oil, but do go through quite a bit of it (I bought a half gallon jug and have used more than half).

I think the problem is that there is no way to entirely avoid pinching the chain at times. I have learned how to avoid it (mostly) when cutting limbs off after the tree is down. But, most of the trees I am cutting are pretty thin, and they move around while I am cutting. I take it as slow as I can to pull the chain out if it looks like it might get stuck, then I push the tree to form a V to cut the rest.

What I don't understand is how easily the chain is getting bent. Specifically, its the little guides on the inner part of the chain. They are not visibly bent, but they are out of alignment sufficiently to prevent me from getting my chain to move around the bar groove. I probably used my Poulan 3 times as much as I've used my Stihl, and this didn't happen once with the Poulan. When the chain fell off, which happened fairly often, I'd put it back on, and be set (once it cooled off so I could restart it).

The chain and bar that came with the saw originally are the same kind I purchased later--Stihl brand, made specifically for my model.

/ Chain Saw Question
To answer both posts, yes, there is plenty of oil getting to the chain and bar. The good news is that I run out of gas just before running out of oil. I have only run out of gas once (today) and have never run out of oil, but do go through quite a bit of it (I bought a half gallon jug and have used more than half).

I think the problem is that there is no way to entirely avoid pinching the chain at times. I have learned how to avoid it (mostly) when cutting limbs off after the tree is down. But, most of the trees I am cutting are pretty thin, and they move around while I am cutting. I take it as slow as I can to pull the chain out if it looks like it might get stuck, then I push the tree to form a V to cut the rest.

What I don't understand is how easily the chain is getting bent. Specifically, its the little guides on the inner part of the chain. They are not visibly bent, but they are out of alignment sufficiently to prevent me from getting my chain to move around the bar groove. I probably used my Poulan 3 times as much as I've used my Stihl, and this didn't happen once with the Poulan. When the chain fell off, which happened fairly often, I'd put it back on, and be set (once it cooled off so I could restart it).

The chain and bar that came with the saw originally are the same kind I purchased later--Stihl brand, made specifically for my model.