Metal Shavings

/ Metal Shavings #1  

Carlmiddleton

Tractor
B2710 w/ loader, LandPride 2572, Bush Hog SQ600
I was wondering if anyone is finding metal shavings in the bottom of there oil pan after performing oil changes on any of the Kubota Compact Tractors? I have a B2710 with 152 hours on it and I am consistantly finding small, brittle metal shavings in the bottom of my oil pan after every oil change. Brittle meaning I can break the shavings up with my thumb and forefinger.

I used Delvac 1 after my 50 hour service and now I am using DELO 400 because of price and performance. Farmers around here swear by it. I change the oil and filter every 50 hours.

/ Metal Shavings #2  
Carlmiddleton,

Don't know nuttin' about Kubota, but can brag that my NH TC18 had about zero shavings at the first oil change! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I even cut open the filter and found about nothing! Interior fit & finish better in the Shibaura engine? I don't know! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Just so you know, many Kubota owners have posted shavings found, seems like many were in the hydraulic screen...I didn't have any shavings in my two hydraulic filters either!
Maybe Kubota owners can comment more about where they found the shavings, etc.

These must not hamper engine performance because we all know that Kubota has an excellent record in that arena!

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Metal Shavings #3  
Well, Carl, I found some metal shavings on the strainers for the hydraulic fluid when I changed it at 46 hours, but I never checked the drain pan for anything like that in the engine oil. I changed my engine oil & filter also at 46 hours and again at 148 hours (and now have 152 hours on my B2710 and I'm using Delo 400 15W-40 engine oil). Guess I'll have to check the bottom of the drain pan next time. However, if whatever you had in yours can be broken up with your thumb and forefinger, that doesn't sound to me like metal shavings, sounds more like some kind of dirt or contaminant. Have you tried washing some of it in solvent to see if it dissolves and if not, look at it under a strong magnifying glass to identify it, or use a magnet to see if it's steel - of course, if it's aluminum that wouldn't help?

And everytime I see your name, I think of a Carl Middleton that I worked with in Dallas 35 years ago./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Metal Shavings #4  
I had an early Honda 750 bike. I pulled the cylinders once and was surprised to an internal chamber that was still packed with casting sand. The chamber was covered by a gasket, but I hate to think what would have happened if casting sand got loose in the engine. I imagine that most things are die-cast now, but casting sand might be a possibility. The stuff was gray and stuck together with a binder. You could say it broke or crumbled easily.