Mowing Mowing rocky field

/ Mowing rocky field #1  

brande

I hope one of you can straighten me out.

Recently purchased about 15 acres, used as corn field and built house and barn there.

When mowing, I come across all kind of rocks turned up by the farmer's plow.

From softball size to bowling ball size.

I try to watch, but still hit a rock now and then, much to my mower's dismay.

It seems that

I have removed about a tri-axle truck load of rocks out of there, but there is more mowing and rocks to do.

I do have field grass and clover growing well, so I don't really want to turn the whole field. I will if I have to, though.

Also-when mowing across, I hit lump after lump from where the corn rows were-any easy way to flatten?

Been lurking here for a while-I know one of you can get me going!!

Many Thanks

brande
Kubota L3400-hey, do they make a turbo for this??
Bush Hog 84" RD finish mower.

/ Mowing rocky field #2  
I would rake it.
The rake would knock down the humps and also grab most of the rocks.

-Duane

/ Mowing rocky field
I've never used a rake before, but doesn't a rake have spring like tines?

If so, it might spring right over many rocks as many are mostly below surface, with a little sticking out above-think of an iceberg. I typically use a flat bar to dig under them to lift out.

Will a rake work??

Thanks
brande

/ Mowing rocky field #4  
brande said:
When mowing, I come across all kind of rocks turned up by the farmer's plow.

From softball size to bowling ball size.

I try to watch, but still hit a rock now and then, much to my mower's dismay.

With my mowing of virgin ground, I set the rotary cutter at it's highest setting (10.5 inches) and walk the area before I mow, marking and/or removing obstacles when I find them. I am piling up rocks all over. Then I come back with the FEL and scoop them up. Now I have a growing rock pile!
Bob

/ Mowing rocky field
I got a pile of field rocks, much like you.

What do we do with these??
I found one guy building a pond who was happy to haul away what
he could. About a third of the pile.

He hasn't been back, and I still have about a tri-axle truck of rocks to get rid of.

The pile keeps GROWING!! Can I sell these things?

All field grade sandstone.

Help me, please!!

Good Luck

brande

/ Mowing rocky field #6  
brande said:
I've never used a rake before, but doesn't a rake have spring like tines?

If so, it might spring right over many rocks as many are mostly below surface, with a little sticking out above-think of an iceberg. I typically use a flat bar to dig under them to lift out.

Will a rake work??

Thanks
brande
You are right about a rake. The rocks need to be loose first. Box blade rippers will do the job of loosening the rocks. When it's all done, it will have been a big job no matter what - make it as easy as possible!
Terry

/ Mowing rocky field #7  
Brande,

I would take rocks from you - but I dont think you are in Virginia. Landscaping places sell rocks here by pallet.

/ Mowing rocky field #8  
4-sale @#$!!! rocks. Big ones, little ones, fat ones ,skinny ones, white ones, dark ones, light ones, rock, rock, rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

/ Mowing rocky field #9  
We are luckier. We have bricks. Old hand made brick from an old house. One bvay we can build a new house. The bricks don't tend to stick but the CEO does not like the horses to step on them. They make great borders around gardens.

/ Mowing rocky field #10  
I too have piles and piles of rocks.

There are no hard labor camps near me to have the prisoners work chipping them down to size unfortunately.

Has anyone dug a big hole and buried their rockpile in the back forty as a solution?