Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning!

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #1  

sparkkky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
Well I was hung up on my M9000 and locked the axles while a front wheel was spinning, it went pop and stopped and I thought everything was alright. Pushed the tractor hard again yesterday pushing downed trees and noticed a small amount of oil on the inside of that wheel. Tractor does not pop or make any other strange noise and it works fine. Anybody else done this? Could it be a seal or did I crack something?

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #2  
Sparkkky, Nope not yet but I'm destined to I guess, it sure sounds like you hurt something. I'd hope for a seal I guess as that'd be the cheapest to fix or at least it'd seem to me to be cheapest. Good luck on your repairs, I'd love to hear what you find to add to my things to watch for list.
Steve

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #3  
SParkkky,

Don't have an M tractor but I have made tractors go "POP!". Last time it took splitting the tractor, about $400 and 3 weeks time. That sound is usually made when a gear tooth is broken free.

Were it mine, the fluid would be out and a magnet on a stick would be fishing around in there to make sure there are no broke teeth. My best guess is that you did some damage, but usually, it is to a rear axle. Never heard of a front going that way, but when the rotational forces are suddenly stopped - "stuff happens". The 4x4 mechanism may have suffered some and should be checked, too.

I hope I am over-reacting, but when ever a tractor has made a POP! sound, my wallet has cried - loud and long.

jb

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #4  
I'm sure it was an accident but my manual says in big letters not to lock the diff while a tire is spinning. I think there is even a sticker next to the diff lock that says this.

But I'll be the first to admit, I thought that was just referring to the rear tires. I will have to pay better attention to the fronts too. When thinking about using the diff lock, I'm pretty sure I throttle back and push the clutch in before locking it but who knows what I (we) really do in the heat of battle.

Still curious though. If there is a differential on the front axle it seems like one front wheel spinning wouldn't put much of a load on the rest of the system.

Anyway, good luck.

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #5  
when you hit that pedal its liternaly pushing a pin into the diferential. You can imagine the force involved if you do that while the tire is spinning.

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #6  
If a ft. one was spinning then a back one would be also. Engaging the rear diff lock may pop when things line up and get a good grip on the traction tire, hopefully that pop doesn't translate into a repair in the rear diff.
I think your leak is just a leak that just started because of a bad seal or something external making it bad.

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #7  
wushaw said:
If a ft. one was spinning then a back one would be also.

Good point. Didn't think of that.

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning!
Yes one front and one rear were spinning. My M9000 has both front and rear locks you can lock the front or lock the front and rear together. Hoping at this point its just a seal!

/ Warning do not lock wheels while one wheel is spinning! #9  
sparkkky said:
My M9000 has both front and rear locks you can lock the front or lock the front and rear together.

Wow! That is very cool. I would love that feature. Quite frankly I've gotten my L4400 out of some really sticky situations (deep mud, creek sand, etc) just by using 4wd and the rear diff lock. If _I_ had the front AND rear lock I imagine I could get it stuck beyond the point of recovery! Insert Smiley here.

Here's hoping its nothing serious. Keep us posted.