sta-bil

/ sta-bil #1  

ccat123

Tractor
Kubota L4400
Is sta-bil fuel stabilizer safe to use it tractors? What about a fuel additive for diesel? I run about 5to10gallons a month, thanks for any and all help.

/ sta-bil #2  
I use it all of the time for both gas and diesel.

When you read the instructions, it tells how much to use for each type of fuel. I know that you use less for diesel, but I can't remember the exact proporations.

/ sta-bil #3  
I use Power service year around in the diesels and StaBil for gas engines in the winter when I don't run them. Don't keep StaBil too long as it starts to crystilize and can plug the carb. I learned this the hard way.

/ sta-bil #4  
Oh good, I thought I was the only one with sta-bil crystals. Something in sta-bil forms these little rocks and it is like pouring sand into your fuel.

/ sta-bil #5  
Uhuh, how long before it went bad on you? I bot a big jug two years ago thinking it would keep for a long time. Tsk...

/ sta-bil #6  
So does the Sta-bil crystalize when it is mixed in the fuel? Or is it when it is concentrated before mixing? I hadn't heard of this before.

/ sta-bil #7  
plaindave said:
So does the Sta-bil crystalize when it is mixed in the fuel? Or is it when it is concentrated before mixing? I hadn't heard of this before.

I hadn't heard of that before either. I know I've kept some for over a year and still used it with no problems. So I don't know how long it would keep.

/ sta-bil #8  
I'm like Bird I've used it since the seventies before it got it's name today. It's even in products like two cycle oils ( Homelite Premium ) I opened a bottle that had set on the self for over twenty years and used it with no problem. I think some fuel additives in unleaded gasoline cause crystals but not sal-bil. Plain old gum and varnish gets to your small naturally asperated air cooled engines. First I've heard this complaint. For Diesel Fuel I use Power Service supplement for a cetane boost, CFPP reduction and disperes water too.
At a 32 Ounces per 100 gallons it's great year around lubrication for your pump and injectors. 32 0zs should last you for several seasons. This stuff works down to 36 degrees F with not heat to you filter system.

/ sta-bil #9  
I've always used Stanadyne in my Ford diesel trucks, but only consistently in winter to keep from gelling (while we lived where that was an issue). I've only added it once or twice to the BX. We lived down south the last 4 years where it rarely freezes.
Is the Power Service similar to Stanadyne? Last time I tried to find Stanadyne, there was a shortage. I am currently well stocked, but may need to find something different. Is the Power Service easy to find? I'm assuming it's a good additive for any diesel? Currently, I have two diesel tractors and a Ford van with the diesel.
Thanks!
Terry

/ sta-bil #10  
SeaFoam has been a popular product here in Mn. Sold cases of it 30-40 years ago when working in the Auto parts industry. The old mechanics I talk to say it still is as good as product as any. Good for fuel additive and for storage, Crankcase additive and carb cleaner. Rough engine just put it in the gas for a liquid tuneup. My son had a rough idle and check engine lite on his Tahoe and mechanic said injector(s) need to be replaced. Seafoam took care of the problem. Amazing stuff.
Ethenol blend is the real culprit here. No Lubricant. My father used to mix a little diesel fuel in his gas Motorhome for lubricating the upper engine parts.
Tom