help a newbie get his hands dirty

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #1  

hospitaldoc

Tractor
Kubota bx23
After buying my kubota bx23 and lurking here a few weeks I feel like its time to take the plunge and "mess" with implements. I have several questions for you seasoned tractorphiles

1. is there an "easier" way to remove and attach the mmm other than sheer grit and cursewords while trying to follow the manual

2. should i "bush/brush-hog" my field and walk it before I use the mmm to mow, and if so what and how much $ would a bush/brushhog go for... should I rent or buy?

3. is it possible to snowplow a driveway with only the fel or do I really need a blower (Maine)

4. does dumping my tractor on its side twice in one day make me experienced or just an idiot?

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #2  
hospitaldoc said:
2. should i "bush/brush-hog" my field and walk it before I use the mmm to mow, and if so what and how much $ would a bush/brushhog go for... should I rent or buy?

4. does dumping my tractor on its side twice in one day make me experienced or just an idiot?

2. Walk it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have found many metal stakes, wires, rocks that would have trashed my rotary cutter.

4. If you survived, it makes you lucky.

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #3  
I should have said that although walking takes time, it takes less time than unwrapping 20 feet of wire from around the cutter.

And, as time goes on, the area you mow will be free of objects that can damage your cutter.
Bob

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #4  
hospitaldoc said:

Do try and keep it shiny side up, those tractors are really pretty hard to push off of your multiple compound fractured leg.

jb

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #5  
In Maine you will need the blower. Around Kansas you can pick up a rotary cutter for about $250-500 used. I've never had my tractor on it;s side yet and hope I don't.

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #6  
Answers (guesses included!)
1. to me it's always a chore to take off or put on
2. at the least, cut it high enough (with a brush hog) to miss the obstacles, but to be able to better see them to remove them. I would buy a hog if you have use for one in the future, or hire someone else to do the job with a larger tractor/hog combo if you don't. If you buy, go with no larger than 48" wide and about 400-500 lbs. I use a 48" med-duty 500 lb. cutter on the BX22 and it is a great match.
3. can't help you . . . never plowed snow with my tractor. Recently moved to Missouri where I might need to occasionaly, but never needed to before.
4. idiot? that depends on what you have learned from your experience :) read the stories here on this forum of others mishaps, practice in your mind what to do (for example, dumping the loader bucket quickly) in case of sudden movement. Move slowly on slopes, when there are lots of ground irregularities (holes, rocks, etc.) - the best thing is to be diligent and determined to be careful, always looking for the unexpected. Know your surroundings! Just today, I was on the little BX backing up looking over my right shoulder and didn't realize the sudden change in elevation to my left - no mishap because I quickly sensed the movement and corrected the situation, but probably could have tipped. BE CAREFUL! I had a dear friend die last year when his tractor ran over him after he was thrown off -SEATBELTS are there for a purpose!
Thanks for your post. It is smart to ask questions and learn. Bet they taught you that in med school just like they taught us in pharmacy school!! :)
Terry

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #7  
1. Can't help w/ MMM but have removed them before and they can be a bear to do.
2. I bought a 5' 3pt. light duty rotary cutter at TSC for under $650. Do walk the property before cutting to look for debris/ stones etc. I made the mistake of believing a field owner that said his property was clear and ended up hitting car tires, car rims, short logs, and several large stones. Chewed my blades up pretty bad.
3. Yes you can plow w/ the FEL/ I live in the snow belt of upstate NY and plow several drives each year w/ the FEL. I also have a 64" 3 pt. snowblower mostly used for rear weight until the snow gets deep enough to use it.
4. Doesn't make you an idiot, just says that you need more practice learning the tip over limits of your tractor.

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #8  
My suggestion for walking it:

You or someone drive the BX while the rest walk it. Toss all the obstacles in the FEL, drive it to the edge and dump it. Repeat.

I've walked mowing jobs that I couldn't see in well. Otherwise, I go slow and cut high, and spend a lot of time watching what I'll hit in the next pass.

Ron

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #9  
1) I can get mine off in under 5 minutes and with minimal grunt-work. I have another thread on the subject that I need to post pictures for...it involves a small three-wheel caster assembly I found at Lowes. Their about $7 a piece (you need four) and fit one each under the four glide-wheels nicely. It makes taking the MMM assembly on and off a BREEZE.
3) Plowed seven 200 to 600 foot long driveways on my cul-de-sac in 2 hours on a 6 inch snow in Virginia. If the driveway is paved, it is easy as pie...set the bucket level and on 'float' and push the stuff down the road. If gravel, it's a little less effective, but still fine. You more 'mush' the snow than push it out of the way to avoid gouging with the bucket. I found it difficult to not gouge the gravel when going in reverse with a box-blade, so I figure the same would happen with a rear blade.
4) Wow. That would scare the poop out of me.

/ help a newbie get his hands dirty #10  
hospitaldoc said:
1. is there an "easier" way to remove and attach the mmm other than sheer grit and cursewords while trying to follow the manual

No, your way sounds about right!:D

If you are planning on using the mmm once you get it cut the first time then buying a brush hog might not be that practical. Might be cheapest to just have someone come in and hog it for you the first time. You might be able to rent one if you looked around but it could be tough finding one the size you need for the BX.

3. is it possible to snowplow a driveway with only the fel or do I really need a blower (Maine)

I've been three winters in N.E. Massachusetts with just the fel and a rear blade. It takes longer than a blower depending on how deep the snow is but I have yet to get a storm I couldn't handle.

Maybe a little of both!:D Perhaps you should post a few more details on how you accomplished this feat so we could offer some advice on what went wrong and how to avoid it. Most of us have at least come close to tipping over. It's really something to be avoided, you know!:eek: :D