Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #1  

design

Silver Member
Tractor
M5400
I just purchased a L2900 GST that may never have been serviced. I have spoken with several of the local dealers, the dealer the tractor was originally sold at, and the dealership I just bought the tractor from, and none of them show any service records for this SN, or sales of parts necessary to do PM for this tractor. Two dealerships show that they have had the tractor in their records for more than 3 years.

The tractor has about 240+/- hours on it. What do I do? What issues should I expect.

design :(

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #2  
design said:
What do I do?
The previous owner may have done all of the service work himself and payed cash for the items needed. When I buy a used vehicle or piece of equipment the first thing that I do is a full service. That way I know that everything has been done.

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #3  
Hey design,

I wouldn't fret yet...

Is the previous owner dead or something? Give 'em a call and ask...

My vehicles have no service history, because I enjoy the work, can inspect everything in & out of them, and know it's done right... hopefully thats the case with your new tractor!

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced
I was able to find out the name of the prior owner. I am attempting to contact them. Is there anything I should do right now? I plan on a oil change at a minimum until I can get the time for a complete 50 hour service.
Design

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #5  
design said:
design said:
The tractor has about 240+/- hours on it. What do I do? What issues should I expect.

design

Easy, look at the fluids, change all the fluids and filters. Grease everything. Look for signs of old versus new grease. Lack of service over 3 yrs. / 240 hours is obvious.

If the fluids are old, thin, dirty, not up to the right level, zerks that have no grease, rusty, etc. versus the opposite will tell you everything.

So, how do all the fluids look? How does the tractor start? easy? hard? Any leaks, paint in good shape? there are hundreds of clues. Let us know what you find.

Bob

PS You can also take samples of all the fluids and submit them for analysis.

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #6  
design said:
I was able to find out the name of the prior owner. I am attempting to contact them. Is there anything I should do right now? I plan on a oil change at a minimum until I can get the time for a complete 50 hour service.
Design

"Minimum" = now, not 50 hours from now. If you really think it has not been done, don't add 50 hours to 240.
Bob

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #7  
Kubotas are tough. If I had yours I would find out all service items that needed to be done between new and now and do them. Problem solved. Tractor will probably be just fine. If fluids are up to level then the worst problem would be lack of greasing. But 240 hours is low hours.

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #8  
Why didn't the dealer you purchased the tractor from due the service before selling it?

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced
I am not sure why the tractor was never serviced. When I can speak with the sales guys, I will ask. I guess I assumed that like used cars at dealerships, the minimum level of service is done before the tractor goes out. At this point, I have had no luck with information from the prior owner.

I guess I know what my 4th of July weekend project will be. :) Time to get to know the new member of the family.

Any useful suggestions for what amounts to the 50/300 hour service?
Design.

/ Help: The tractor I just purchased was never serviced #10  
design said:
I am not sure why the tractor was never serviced. When I can speak with the sales guys, I will ask. I guess I assumed that like used cars at dealerships, the minimum level of service is done before the tractor goes out. At this point, I have had no luck with information from the prior owner.

I guess I know what my 4th of July weekend project will be. :) Time to get to know the new member of the family.

Any useful suggestions for what amounts to the 50/300 hour service?
Design.

Im with Doc_Bob... Just assume that nothing HAS been done and start in Oil and filter...grease everything...changed differential fluid(s)..you name it.

Basically start your OWN maintainence plan..using the fluids etc..that YOU wish to use. Previous owner / dealer MAY have already changed..say the oil. Using WHAT? K-Marts best?..."monkey snot"?? who knows??